Carol R.

Default product key for Word 2004 for Mac

I have a product key on the back of the CD box, but when I type it in and try
to continue, I get a message asking me to verify the number. I did verify the
number, but I keep getting the same message. Is there any quick fix? I know I
can call Microsoft support, but it galls me to have to use one of my two free
calls because of a product key they got wrong! Thanks.
katin42

The Product Key you're entering might not be the actual one. True, there is
only one; but sometimes other Serial Numbers (for licensing, shipping codes,
and copyright) might be mistaken for the actual Product Key. It might be on
your Owners Manual, if you received one with the product, the actual CD
itself. If you know this one is correct, Microsoft Knowledge Base (KB
Articles) or email support, might help you to confirm you have it, cost free.
If you purchased the product through retail, or a Third Party manufacture, I
hope they might also help you to locate the it, cost free.

"Carol R." wrote:

I have a product key on the back of the CD box, but when I type it in and try
to continue, I get a message asking me to verify the number. I did verify the
number, but I keep getting the same message. Is there any quick fix? I know I
can call Microsoft support, but it galls me to have to use one of my two free
calls because of a product key they got wrong! Thanks.

It is unlikely that the "product key" is what you are supposed to be typing
in. What is usually required is the "CD key," which is found on a sticker on
the CD itself or inside the CD case (or on a Certificate of Authenticity if
this is an OEM version). If that's the one you're using, then make sure
you're reading the characters correctly; users frequently report confusing O
with 0, I with 1, S with 5, and so on (though recent software packages seem
to be using a more legible font for this).

"Carol R." Carol wrote in message
I have a product key on the back of the CD box, but when I type it in and

try
to continue, I get a message asking me to verify the number. I did verify

the
number, but I keep getting the same message. Is there any quick fix? I

know I
can call Microsoft support, but it galls me to have to use one of my two

free
calls because of a product key they got wrong! Thanks.

Carol R.

Thanks. The characters I typed in are on a sticker on the back of the CD box,
which says "Product Key," and the number of characters is correct. There are
no other numbers, either on the CD or in the manual. There is nothing on this
in the KB. E-mail support is free only in the same sense that calling support
is free; the first two contacts are free, but it's $35 each time thereafter.

"Carol R." wrote:

I have a product key on the back of the CD box, but when I type it in and try
to continue, I get a message asking me to verify the number. I did verify the
number, but I keep getting the same message. Is there any quick fix? I know I
can call Microsoft support, but it galls me to have to use one of my two free
calls because of a product key they got wrong! Thanks.

Carol R.

Thanks. There is no CD key, only a product key on the back of the CD box,
which is what the installation instructions tell me to look for. When I try
to install, the field where I type in the number specifically asks for the
Product Key. There are no 0s or Os, Ss or 5s, etc. None of the 25 characters
is ambiguous that way.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Daiya Mitchell

(just noticed this was a MacWord thread)

Yes, I think they disallowed ambiguous characters about the same time they
stupidly decided to call it the Product Key instead of the CD Key, even
though there already exists a Product ID which is something different. One
step forward, two steps back.

Anyhow, that's the right number (I've got the same packaging here). Is this
an upgrade version by any chance? If so, have you already pointed it at a
previous version?

Just by the way, there are Mac-specific newsgroups which would have been
more appropriate for this question, though last time this came up we didn't
have anything more to say than that I think you will have to call and the
person never reported back with any more information. I have no idea whether
it's possible to argue them into not counting the call against your free
two.

See here for Google/Entourage gateway to Mac-specific MS newsgroups, which
will likely reduce the need for future calls:
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/community/community.aspx?pid=newsgroups

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Carol R.

Thanks. Yes, this is an upgrade. I don't know how to point it at anything.
The manual said to uninstall the old version before doing anything else,
which sounded stupid, but obediently uninstalled. But the product key didn't
work. Another user suggested the old version had to be on my system for the
new one to find its place in my universe, so I reinstalled Word 98. The key
still doesn't work.

Thanks so much for the tip re. the Mac group. That will come in very handy,
if not now then in the future surely. I'll check their archives just in case.
Daiya Mitchell

Ah, that is a little weird.

What should happen, from another poster elsewhe

I just recently installed microsoft office:mac 2004 standard edition on
my ibook and when I try to open it an alert appears titled "upgrade
verification." It says to click browse and then select the folder that
contains the earlier version of the software

Whether Word 98 is on your system doesn't really matter, as you can browse
to an installed version or insert the CD and browse to that. And Word 98
makes you eligible.

I'm afraid I haven't a clue. Sorry not to be more help.

Do check the Mac group archives (for both the Word and the plain Office
group). I didn't see anything but I didn't go back very far.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Carol R.

Thanks for trying, Daiya. I did check the Mac group's archives but didn't
find anything useful. So I'm going to cave and call MS support on a day when
I have 2-3 hrs. to kill. ;-) OTOH, I might trot my laptop over to the Apple
Store, because the gurus there have special powers.
katin42

It couldn't hurt to contact the manufacturer you purchased your product from,
if nothing else to save on the two free calls. I always thought email
communication was cost free. : ( Wish it were. Through Microsoft Online
they still might have information in the Life Cycle Support section, and they
have a section, where you can verify the authenticity of your product. You
enter you product key, and if it works there, it might come in handy.