Collasped and expanded text

Old January 10th 20, 07:11 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SafeTex[_2_]

Default Collasped and expanded text

Hello all

I have a question about collapsed or expanded text as explained for instance in a Microsoft article: https://support.office.com/en-us/art...5-f0233cd3520c

My question is that as the little arrow pointing downwards and to the right indicating collapsed text is not visible until you put the cursor over the corresponding text, how do you know if there is collapsed text and where in the document?

Once I have found such an arrow, I have to problems in expanding all collapsed text in a document but how do I find such an arrow in the first place QUICKLY when I can't see them initially?

Thanks in advance for any help

Old January 10th 20, 02:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peter T. Daniels

Oh, wow, a feature was added in Word2013 that might actually be useful!
I didn't know about that! (Unfortunately I can't move up from Word2007,
which they officially no longer support, because (a) the customized
bibliography styles I spent many hours learning how to create don't
seem to be usable in the later version, and (b) the icons on the QAT
are so big that I can't get all the ones I need -- and do use regularly
-- onto it.)

But to answer your question: I'm accustomed to dealing with collapsed
text when in Outline View, so it's not unfamiliar. It looks from that
description like you can only collapse text under a paragraph formatted
with a Heading style; which means that the only place you could hover
to find the collapsed-text marker is in a heading; and hopefully all
your Heading styles, whether you make your own or use ones that come
in a Theme, look different from your body text styles. So if you don't
remember whether you've added the stuff for a particular heading, you
have a limited number of places to check.

On Friday, January 10, 2020 at 2:11:25 AM UTC-5, SafeTex wrote:
Hello all

I have a question about collapsed or expanded text as explained for instance in a Microsoft article: https://support.office.com/en-us/art...5-f0233cd3520c

My question is that as the little arrow pointing downwards and to the right indicating collapsed text is not visible until you put the cursor over the corresponding text, how do you know if there is collapsed text and where in the document?

Once I have found such an arrow, I have to problems in expanding all collapsed text in a document but how do I find such an arrow in the first place QUICKLY when I can't see them initially?

Thanks in advance for any help

You will be welcome.
Old January 10th 20, 03:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SafeTex[_2_]

Thanks Peter
I've since discovered that the Word always seems to open with all the text expanded but once you collapse some text, it is hard to find the arrows to expand it again as there is no way that Word can search for them so you end up looking for the arrows manually (at least one as you can then expand them all)
As I had a long document, with the first collapsed text on page 20, this took me some time.
Regards
Dave