Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay DeWitt

Default Word doc created by one user not able to open by another user

Hello to anyone that can help. We're experiencing a strange problem.

There is one user at our company that creates a Word Document and then saves
it to the server in a shared folder that has the permissions set so all users
can open the file (in this case the Word Document). When this user saves
their Word Document to the folder, other users with lesser permissions (part
of the user group and not management) can't open his document. This is only
unique to this user and his Word Documents.

To fix the problem I have to go and reset all the permissions...only then
can the document be opened by the lesser permission users.

Is there something that could be set in his Word settings/preferences that
is adding restrictive permissions?

Any help would be great!

Thank you in advance.

Jay DeWitt
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shauna Kelly

Hi Jay

Perhaps Word is not "letting go" of the document, which would free it up for
someone else to open.

And that implies that Word still has temporary files hanging around. So if
this were me, I'd delete all the temp files on the problem user's machine,
as described at:
What to do when Word crashes
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm

Hope this helps.