Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul Paul is offline

Default Bullet lists: Collapse away different levels of indentation

The outline view is great at collapsing away headings of varying
outline levels. Normal text or body text is considered the most
subordinate of outline levels. I would like bullet lists to be even
subordinate to normal text, and I also want different levels of
subordination within the bulletted list, depending on the indentation
of the bulletted paragraph. Is there a way to do this?

My goal is to be able to collapse away the details of all (or
selected) bullet lists unless I encounter a list that I want to lift
the lid on. Makes it easier to navigate the content.

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

Outline View is control by the allocation of the Outline Level on the
Paragraph dialog. You could use any of the levels, such as level 5 to 9 which
are not being used by your Headings.
Beware though, other parts of Word also use the Outline Level to function,
such as Document Map and Table of Contents.
So you will have to consider the pros and cons of doing this assignment.
Hope this helps
DeanH

"Paul" wrote:

The outline view is great at collapsing away headings of varying
outline levels. Normal text or body text is considered the most
subordinate of outline levels. I would like bullet lists to be even
subordinate to normal text, and I also want different levels of
subordination within the bulletted list, depending on the indentation
of the bulletted paragraph. Is there a way to do this?

My goal is to be able to collapse away the details of all (or
selected) bullet lists unless I encounter a list that I want to lift
the lid on. Makes it easier to navigate the content.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul Paul is offline

I've assigned outline levels to Body text and the bullet styles.
However, this makes them no longer subordinate to all heading levels,
unless I limit the number of heading levels so that there are enough
levels for for the Body text and bullet styles. In Outline view, this
would give too much indentation a bullet style compared to a heading
immediately above it.

I guess what I'm looking for is equivalent to a dynamic level
assignment for body and bullets. For example, for Body text
immediately follow a level 3 heading, the body text would
automatically take on level 4, a first level bullet would take on
level 5, a second level bullet would be level 6, etc.. For Body text
and bullets immediately following a level 2 heading, the effective
body and bullet levels would be one less. Not exactly suited to how
Word hard codes the Outline Level into a paragraph style, it seems.