Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Andrew St-Johnston

Default Address Book Layout Issue

I have read with interest all the posts about problem with inserting Company
name in an envelope using MS Word 2003. My question is how do we bring this
obvious weakness to the attention of Microsoft or why is it that they have
not corrected the problem? I hope this is not another example of MS
arrogance.

Does anyone have a solution that doesn't involve a cumbersome workaround?

Does anyone know the name of the Autotext file that could be altered?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

See:

http://www.slipstick.com/contacts/insword.htm

"Arrogance" is a pretty strong word when the program is as customizable as
it is.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Andrew St-Johnston" wrote in
message ...
I have read with interest all the posts about problem with inserting
Company
name in an envelope using MS Word 2003. My question is how do we bring
this
obvious weakness to the attention of Microsoft or why is it that they have
not corrected the problem? I hope this is not another example of MS
arrogance.

Does anyone have a solution that doesn't involve a cumbersome workaround?

Does anyone know the name of the Autotext file that could be altered?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Andrew St-Johnston

Thank you for your response. However the suggested change to AddressLayout
does not solve the problem in all areas of Word 2003. It does solve the
problem if you put an Insert Address button on the toolbar but not if you
use: Tools, Envelopes and Mailings etc. This appears to use something which
altering the Autotext AddressLayout does not affect.

I apologise if you find my use of the word arrogance in relation to
Microsoft. I have unfortunately never found them easy to do business with.
And I find it strange that they would issue a version of Word which does not
allow for the automatic insertion of a Company Name.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

I don't have any problems here using AddressLayout with Word 2003. See if
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=292127 helps.

FWIW you would probably find an automatic envelope template of more use.
There are samples you can download from my web site or you can see how it is
done at http://www.gmayor.com/Macrobutton.htm

wrote in message
I have read with interest all the posts about problem with inserting
Company
name in an envelope using MS Word 2003. My question is how do we
bring this
obvious weakness to the attention of Microsoft or why is it that
they have not corrected the problem? I hope this is not another
example of MS arrogance.

Does anyone have a solution that doesn't involve a cumbersome
workaround?

Does anyone know the name of the Autotext file that could be
altered?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Andrew St-Johnston

Thanks Graham. The MS article covers the cumbersome work-around I referenced
in the original post. I will now pursue the envelopes template solution you
recommend until MS get around to fixing this weakness.

wrote in message
I have read with interest all the posts about problem with inserting
Company
name in an envelope using MS Word 2003. My question is how do we
bring this
obvious weakness to the attention of Microsoft or why is it that
they have not corrected the problem? I hope this is not another
example of MS arrogance.

Does anyone have a solution that doesn't involve a cumbersome
workaround?

Does anyone know the name of the Autotext file that could be
altered?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MarieJ

Hi,

I have create the AddressLayout autotext entry and when I insert a contact
from the Address Book inside the body of a regular Word document, I get all
the information from all the fields that I want. However, when I am in
Envelopes and Labels and insert the same contact using the Address Book
button, I don't get all the info from all the fields that I want. Can anyone
help?

(I also posted this as a reply to a 11/2004 entry, but am reposting this
question since this is the most recent newsgroup info.)

Thanks. MarieJ

wrote in message
I have read with interest all the posts about problem with inserting
Company
name in an envelope using MS Word 2003. My question is how do we
bring this
obvious weakness to the attention of Microsoft or why is it that
they have not corrected the problem? I hope this is not another
example of MS arrogance.

Does anyone have a solution that doesn't involve a cumbersome
workaround?

Does anyone know the name of the Autotext file that could be
altered?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MarieJ

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=292127

Just found this article - I assume the same problem exists with Word 2003
too. Booooooo. Kind of a sad Workaround item #2.

MarieJ

wrote in message
I have read with interest all the posts about problem with inserting
Company
name in an envelope using MS Word 2003. My question is how do we
bring this
obvious weakness to the attention of Microsoft or why is it that
they have not corrected the problem? I hope this is not another
example of MS arrogance.

Does anyone have a solution that doesn't involve a cumbersome
workaround?

Does anyone know the name of the Autotext file that could be
altered?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Andrew St-Johnston

I can only refer you to Graham's reply to me, (above). If you read the
article to which he refers you will see that you have stumbled on a known
problem for which there is no easy solution: just a cumbersome work-around.
With luck Microsoft will hear our cries and issue a correction in some future
patch/update.