Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
gr8auntieokie gr8auntieokie is offline

Default Word 2007--Updating Cross-references

I have a legacy Word 2000 document (150 pages) with cross-references to
paragraph numbers, that I'm modifying in Word 2007 in compatibility mode (to
keep the document compatible with Word 97-2003). I've used para-number X-refs
for years, but for the first time, whenever I click to PRINT the document,
the message "updating cross-references" flashes in the lower left corner of
the taskbar and the X-refs are updated _WRONG_!! e.g., the X-ref paragraph
4.8 becomes 1.8 and X-ref paragraph 16.5 becomes 13.5. It's not a printer
problem because it happens to the attorney whose office is downstairs from
mine, and when I open the document in Word 2000, I don't get the error. Does
anyone have any idea why this is happening?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Is the option to update fields before printing selected, in Word Options,
Display category?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"gr8auntieokie" wrote in message
I have a legacy Word 2000 document (150 pages) with cross-references to
paragraph numbers, that I'm modifying in Word 2007 in compatibility mode
keep the document compatible with Word 97-2003). I've used para-number
X-refs
for years, but for the first time, whenever I click to PRINT the document,
the message "updating cross-references" flashes in the lower left corner
of
the taskbar and the X-refs are updated _WRONG_!! e.g., the X-ref paragraph
4.8 becomes 1.8 and X-ref paragraph 16.5 becomes 13.5. It's not a printer
problem because it happens to the attorney whose office is downstairs from
mine, and when I open the document in Word 2000, I don't get the error.
Does
anyone have any idea why this is happening?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You may also want this information on problem cross-references:

Word cross-references make use of hidden bookmarks (which were
automatically inserted as you first created the references). Something
has happened to those bookmarks so that they do not enclose the
correct item. Usually, the problem is that you've pressed Enter at the
beginning of a bookmarked paragraph, which extends the bookmark to the
newly created paragraph. (You can easily confirm this in a test
document by using manual bookmarks. Make sure to enable their display,
first, on the View tab of Tools | Options.)

You can redefine existing hidden bookmarks as follows:

1. Select the text which should be bookmarked. Carefully select only
what you want referenced (that is, a smaller range of text than what
is currently inserted at the location of the cross-reference).

2. On the Insert menu, click Bookmark. Click "Hidden bookmarks", and
then click "Location". Word highlights the bookmark which includes the
selection.

3. Click Add to redefine the bookmark.

4. Repeat the above steps for each problematic cross-reference.

5. Select the entire document and press F9 to update the
cross-reference fields.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

For anyone following this discussion, see also the "Why do cross references
change when I print?" thread in this newsgroup.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP