Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Diane Diane is offline

Default Using the ENTIRE page

I am using Word 2002 with Windows XP. I have several documents that are over
300 pages long. I'm using page numbers, and for some reason, the amount of
space between the last line of text and the page number is not consistant.
Sometimes there's 1/4 inch, sometimes as much as a full inch. I have tried
everywhere else to look up answers for myself & I've gotten nowhere - Does
anyone have a fix for this? I'd like to be able to use the entire page, as
some of my documents would probably have many fewer pages.
--
Thanks! ~ Diane
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

My guess is that your paragraph style used for the body of your text has the
widows and orphan formatting parameter set which will force paragraphs to
the next page if there is only space for one or two lines of the paragraph
on the current page. This tends to make documents easier to read.

Diane wrote:
I am using Word 2002 with Windows XP. I have several documents that
are over 300 pages long. I'm using page numbers, and for some reason,
the amount of space between the last line of text and the page number
is not consistant. Sometimes there's 1/4 inch, sometimes as much as a
full inch. I have tried everywhere else to look up answers for myself
& I've gotten nowhere - Does anyone have a fix for this? I'd like to
be able to use the entire page, as some of my documents would
probably have many fewer pages.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/BottomLine.htm for an explanation and
suggestions.