DandHJohn

Default Remove Extra Carriage Returns

Text has too many imbedded carriage returns. How can I format a paragraph to
remove the extra carriage returns?
CyberTaz

Hello-

Use EditFind/Replace. In the Find field type ^p as many times as you need
to (usually 2 or 3). In the Replace field either type nothing or just one ^p
(usually one is sufficient). The ^p represents a carriage return.

Replace or Replace All as appropriate.

HTH |:)

On 7/16/05 12:28 AM, in article
, "DandHJohn"
wrote:

Text has too many imbedded carriage returns. How can I format a paragraph to
remove the extra carriage returns?

Pat Garard

G'Day,¶

You're testing my interpretive skills .........¶

I am going to assume that you have pasted some text into a Word Document,¶
and that there is a CR at the end of each line with two to indicate the end¶
of a paragraph (exactly like this message) ....¶

1. Preserve the Paragraphs¶
==================¶

EditReplace¶
In the "Find what:" box, type the 4 characters ^p^p these represent two¶
Paragraph markers (CRs) immediately following one another.¶
In the "Replace with:" box type some unlikely text like ~/Para\~ (you will¶
later search for this and put the 'paragraphs' back).¶
Replace All¶

2. Remove the unwanted Paragraph Markers¶
==============================¶

EditReplace
In the "Find what:" box, type the 2 characters ^p these represent a¶
single Paragraph marker (CR).¶
In the "Replace with:" box type a single SPACE.¶
Replace All¶
(Every Paragraph Marker remaining in the Document will be replaced with a¶
Space).¶

3. Restore the original Paragraphs¶
=======================¶

Use EditReplace again to Find ~/Para\~ (or whatever you typed in step 1)¶
and replace with EITHER ^p OR ^p^p as you choose.¶
--¶
Regards,¶
Pat Garard¶
Melbourne, Australia¶

"DandHJohn" wrote in message
Text has too many imbedded carriage returns. How can I format a paragraph to
remove the extra carriage returns?

If Pat's interpretation is correct, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/CleanWebText.htm and
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Clean_Up_Text.htm