Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PullingMyHairOut PullingMyHairOut is offline

Default Inserting Picture into Text Box with Wrapping

I am working with one of Microsoft's newsletter templates (Professional 2003
version). The newsletter's
columns are done as text boxes (that's the way the template is set up).

I want to insert a picture or two to go with the stories. But when I try to
do this, the picture gets "cut off" and there is no way to fix it. I can
click on the outline of the picture, but I only see the bottom quarter of it,
which is really strange. The "Picture - Layout" and "Order as" fields are
greyed
out no matter what I try -- so I can't adjust text wrapping or anything. I
am PULLING MY HAIR OUT trying to get this to work. It shouldn't be so hard!

Can anyone give me a work-around for this? I'm not very skilled at creating
templates from scratch. I have used software like this in the past
(FrameMaker, for example). But I'm not an expert on Word.

Would it be better to try to re-create the template without text boxes and
use columns or table cells instead?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?UHVsbGluZ015SGFpck91dA==?=,

I am working with one of Microsoft's newsletter templates (Professional 2003
version). The newsletter's
columns are done as text boxes (that's the way the template is set up).

I want to insert a picture or two to go with the stories. But when I try to
do this, the picture gets "cut off" and there is no way to fix it. I can
click on the outline of the picture, but I only see the bottom quarter of it,
which is really strange. The "Picture - Layout" and "Order as" fields are
greyed
out no matter what I try -- so I can't adjust text wrapping or anything. I
am PULLING MY HAIR OUT trying to get this to work. It shouldn't be so hard!

I gather you're inserting the picture in a text box: the text box will NOT
resize to accomodate the picture. You need to resize it manually. In addition,
it is NOT possible to have text IN a text box wrap around a picture. The two
don't go together.

It might be better to create a single-cell table, put the text and picture in
that, delete the text box and position the table in its place.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PullingMyHairOut PullingMyHairOut is offline

Thank you, Cindy. I may try that.

I discovered a total kluge work-around: I made an additional page which has
no text boxes on it. I insert my pictures on that and then in the Drawing
Text Wrapping menu I set them Square. Then I drag them up onto the page I'm
working on. I then insert a text box within the text box -- essentially
forcing a wrap around the picture. It is totally non-elegant, but it gets the
job done.

When I have some time, I will probably change the template to do what you
suggest, because it sounds a lot easier to work with graphics inside table
cells. This newsletter will only be done a few times a year, so since I
hacked around and got it to work, I don't need to change it yet.

I can't figure out why Microsoft would make a newsletter template that
doesn't let you add graphics with text wrapping. It's very misleading.

"Cindy M." wrote:

[...]

Header with picture or text box Scott Page Layout 15 April 28th 23 02:52 AM
Text Wrapping Dig Microsoft Word Help 4 August 29th 06 11:51 PM
putting text on pictures Wendy New Users 8 August 29th 06 06:56 AM
autoshape text wrapping cayce Page Layout 6 June 16th 06 09:42 PM