Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cal Cal is offline

Default Merge is changing filter fields - without my asking it to

Has anyone run into problems with Microsoft Word 2003 where as you are
setting the filter fields for a mail merge, it is adding filter fields with
an "or"(and) header? It seems to be associated with a comparison field of
"Not equal to," though it will add filter fields if you have a bunch of "And"
settings followed by an "Or" setting. I've used these successfully in the
past (without filter fields being added) and am not sure if a recent
update/download jacked things up. I've cleared the filter fields completely,
started from scratch, and even tried to save the document with the correct
filter fields, but for whatever reason, those "ghost" filter fields get added
and by doing so, mess up my merge results. If anyone has any suggestions,
please let me know!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Some versions of Word have always done this kind of thing with some data
sources.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/286880/en-us

describes one such problem but I do not know if the workaround suggested in
there really helps.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"Cal" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cal Cal is offline

I haven't had a chance to see if what you said works, but am going to start
working on this again. It was a real bugger to get back to this point
(pretty much had to start from scratch) because the link that was included
with the MS notification that was sent to me when you replied worked when it
initially arrived, but when I tried to reference it lately, it just went to a
blank page. I'll let you know how it goes and THANKS A LOT for your help.

"Cal" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cal Cal is offline

The Workaround KB286880 is USELESS. I am able to do a clear all, which
results in all the filters being removed. However, when I try and rebuild
the mail merge per my needs...get this...I am able to see the exact records I
do want to pull into the mail merge document, but when I actually hit the
'OK' button, what I get is exactly the OPPOSITE of what I want. Word 2003
has decided to do its own thing and when I look back at the Filter and Sort
dialog box, it has put in its own fields with the "Is blank" option in the
Comparison field, which is what is causing all the problems! I *know* this
used to work. I have used this exact set-up in the past with the results as
I needed them, but what is going on right now is pure garbage. What the heck
happened between then and now and how the heck do I fix this?!?
Someone...anyone...perhaps someone working on Microsoft Office Word 2003...is
this a coding problem and do you even care that it doesn't work?
(Okay...that is mostly frustration speaking. My apologies).

"Cal" wrote:

Has anyone run into problems with Microsoft Word 2003 where as you are
setting the filter fields for a mail merge, it is adding filter fields with
an "or"(and) header? It seems to be associated with a comparison field of
"Not equal to," though it will add filter fields if you have a bunch of "And"
settings followed by an "Or" setting. I've used these successfully in the
past (without filter fields being added) and am not sure if a recent
update/download jacked things up. I've cleared the filter fields completely,
started from scratch, and even tried to save the document with the correct
filter fields, but for whatever reason, those "ghost" filter fields get added
and by doing so, mess up my merge results. If anyone has any suggestions,
please let me know!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cal Cal is offline

Okay...I think I may have found an actual workaround. Do not use the
Comparison field of "Not equal to." You will have to figure out the logic to
exclude the results you do not want - it will probably involve a set-up of
filters grouped by an "OR" with another very similar set-up of filters with a
minor variation. Just avoid the "Not equal to" option. It's brilliant when
it works, but in this particular case as soon as you use "Not equal to" all
havoc wreaks loose. Once you remove this type of Comparison from your Filter
Records tab of the Filter and Sort dialog box, the "ghost" filters that
Microsoft Office Word 2003 creates will not occur.

"Cal" wrote:

Has anyone run into problems with Microsoft Word 2003 where as you are
setting the filter fields for a mail merge, it is adding filter fields with
an "or"(and) header? It seems to be associated with a comparison field of
"Not equal to," though it will add filter fields if you have a bunch of "And"
settings followed by an "Or" setting. I've used these successfully in the
past (without filter fields being added) and am not sure if a recent
update/download jacked things up. I've cleared the filter fields completely,
started from scratch, and even tried to save the document with the correct
filter fields, but for whatever reason, those "ghost" filter fields get added
and by doing so, mess up my merge results. If anyone has any suggestions,
please let me know!

Changing merge fields to upper case Geoff Budd Mailmerge 4 April 29th 23 08:48 PM
Macro For Merge and Filter Bob Collin Mailmerge 5 September 19th 06 02:21 AM
mail merge FILTER BatteryMan Mailmerge 4 April 26th 06 04:49 AM
Mail merge filter Dee Mailmerge 1 April 4th 05 08:38 AM
Mail merge filter Dee Microsoft Word Help 5 April 3rd 05 10:43 PM