ChristineP

Default Prevent Word from applying Header, Footer and Page Styles?

I begrudgingly accept the fact that users cannot delete Words built-in
styles. However, is there any way to prevent Word from automatically applying
the Header, Footer and Page Number styles to my text whenever I open the
header or footer, or insert page numbers? This "feature" drives me crazy!

Thanks.

Why would it drive you crazy? This is the way styles are supposed to be
used. If you don't like the formatting of the Header, Footer, or Page Number
style, you can modify it. See
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/styl...ifyAStyle.html

Alternatively, if it really bothers you, open Normal.dot (or any other
template you are using) and change the style of the header and footer
paragraph to Normal or whatever it is you want to use.

"ChristineP" wrote in message
I begrudgingly accept the fact that users cannot delete Words built-in
styles. However, is there any way to prevent Word from automatically

applying
the Header, Footer and Page Number styles to my text whenever I open the
header or footer, or insert page numbers? This "feature" drives me crazy!

Thanks.

ChristineP

Suzanne, as a dedicated and enthusastic user of styles, text in my headers
and footers are formatted with a variety of styles - not just "Header". It
drives me crazy because * I* want to be in control of my document - not Word.
I want to be the one who decides when a style is applied, and which will be
used. As a (power) user since 1989, me thinks MS has taken such hand-holding
a bit too far.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Why would it drive you crazy? This is the way styles are supposed to be
used. If you don't like the formatting of the Header, Footer, or Page Number
style, you can modify it. See
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/styl...ifyAStyle.html

Alternatively, if it really bothers you, open Normal.dot (or any other
template you are using) and change the style of the header and footer
paragraph to Normal or whatever it is you want to use.

"ChristineP" wrote in message
I begrudgingly accept the fact that users cannot delete Words built-in
styles. However, is there any way to prevent Word from automatically

applying
the Header, Footer and Page Number styles to my text whenever I open the
header or footer, or insert page numbers? This "feature" drives me crazy!

Thanks.

AFAIK, Word has always applied Header and Footer styles to header and footer
text. You can apply any style you want to any text in any document; if you
use the styles consistently, you can modify the style of the header and
footer in the document template. I frequently create Odd and Even
Header/Footer styles for book layouts. Word has to start somewhere, and the
advantage of the Header and Footer styles for most users is the availability
of the Header and Footer AutoText entries on the Header and Footer toolbar.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Why would it drive you crazy? This is the way styles are supposed to be
used. If you don't like the formatting of the Header, Footer, or Page

Number
style, you can modify it. See
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/styl...ifyAStyle.html

Alternatively, if it really bothers you, open Normal.dot (or any other
template you are using) and change the style of the header and footer
paragraph to Normal or whatever it is you want to use.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.