Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
tgrigg

Default edit text displayed while using PageRef field code

I am trying to create a table of contents page using paragraph formatting.
I've created bookmarks for the places I want in my document.
I am using the PageRef field code to reference the page of a bookmark
assigned to a piece of text in my document. I am trying to have it so that
when I click on Update Field, it will only show the page number associated
with the bookmark created. Instead, what I get is "on page 2". I only want
it to show "2". If I change it to show "2", then click "Update Field", it
reverts back to "on page 2". Is there any way to fix this? There was in the
previous version of Office. Help! If I have the wrong discussion group, can
someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
tgrigg
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

This is an extremely cumbersome and labor-intensive way to create a TOC; see
http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/toc/CreateATOC.html for the more usual
approach. By default, however, a PAGEREF will insert only the page number,
not any associated text (such as "on page").