Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DavidPike DavidPike is offline

Default Problem tint or shading in graphic file

We create Word templates and want to insert a version of companies logos. We
are finding on some logos that the white or transparent background has a very
very fine tint ie spaced out dots or pixels. The effect is to look like the
paper is dirty or there is shading. it is almost unnoticable.

It only occurs on colour printers and not on black laser printers. It does
not occur in a pdf file made with the problem file.

Also we have some jpegs where it occurs and some where it does not.

Does anyone know what is going on? Does anyone know which is the optimum
file type to use?

The files were created from illustrator.

Thanks for reading this far

David
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hello David

DavidPike wrote:
We create Word templates and want to insert a version of companies logos. We
are finding on some logos that the white or transparent background has a very
very fine tint ie spaced out dots or pixels. The effect is to look like the
paper is dirty or there is shading. it is almost unnoticable.

It only occurs on colour printers and not on black laser printers. It does
not occur in a pdf file made with the problem file.

Also we have some jpegs where it occurs and some where it does not.

Does anyone know what is going on? Does anyone know which is the optimum
file type to use?

The files were created from illustrator.

Some things I'd check to pin down this problem:

1. Color Space of the JPEG files in Illulstrator: are they saved as RGB
files (that's what Word/Office understands, anything else it will
somehow convert internally and/or at print-time).

2. Is the problem only in Word? Try to insert the JPEG into (say)
PowerPoint and print from there to the color printer; try the same from
a web browser (open the JPEG directly in IE and print).

3. Check the printer driver settings; consult the manual/homepage of the
printer (manufacturer) for color settings, graduation curves, etc.pp.

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS