Edward Lee

Default Problem printing two-page mail merge document

I am having trouble with a mail merge letter that is two pages. When
printing (Canon network copier/printer ImageRunner 3300), I need the first
page to print to Tray X and the second page to print to Tray Y. Our printer
has the capability to do this. Unfortunately, Word treats this as one big
job and all but the very first page prints to Tray X.

Canon tech support tells me that this is an issue with how Word sends the
print job. They reccomend using either another applicaiton or some VB code.
Unfortunately, they were not able to reccomend an applicaiton that might
work and we don't have anyone with VB skills available to work us.

Any suggestions/reccomendations? We're a small non-profit, so we don't have
a great deal of money to spend.

Thanks for any help,
Ed Lee

If your mail merge main document specifies the trays for the first page and
remaining pages, and assuming that this is a Letter-type merge, then each
Letter, being a separate section, will reflect these settings. But you must
set the trays before merging; once you've completed the merge, you'd have to
go through every individual section (letter) and make the settings.

Note that these are not settings that you make in the printer Properties but
in Page Setup (Paper or Paper Source tab) in the mail merge main document.

"Edward Lee" wrote in message
[...]

Edward Lee

Thanks Suzanne!! Once quick follow-up question...

I now see where you say Word gives me the option to specify paper trays in
Page Setup. Should I ALSO configure the printer properties to use two
different trays, or should I leave the Printer Properties as the default
once I configure Word's Page Setup properties to specify the two different
trays to use?

Thanks!
Ed Lee

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
If your mail merge main document specifies the trays for the first page
and
remaining pages, and assuming that this is a Letter-type merge, then each
Letter, being a separate section, will reflect these settings. But you
must
set the trays before merging; once you've completed the merge, you'd have
go through every individual section (letter) and make the settings.

Note that these are not settings that you make in the printer Properties
but
in Page Setup (Paper or Paper Source tab) in the mail merge main document.

so
all may benefit.

"Edward Lee" wrote in message
[...]

Leave the printer Properties as default. Word handles all its own stuff wrt
the printer (paper size, source, etc.).

"Edward Lee" wrote in message
[...]

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Edward Lee" wrote in message
[...]

Edward Lee

Thanks Suzanne. This worked perfectly! The tech at Canon was absolutely
certain in telling me this won't work from Word. Said he was very familiar
with this limitation.