TARA

Default when you save a doc & replace w/a new one can u recover the old ?

Graham Mayor

Greg Maxey

Why not?

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
See:

TF

Greg

If you open a document, edit the text and then forget to SaveAs but simply
Save, you have physically overwritten the old document on the hard drive. So
where can it be retrieved from?

Terry

"Greg Maxey" wrote in message
: Why not?
:
: --
: Greg Maxey/Word MVP
: See:
: http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/word_tips.htm
: For some helpful tips using Word.
:
: Graham Mayor wrote:
:
:

Jay Freedman

No, not unless you've made some provision to back up the old version.
For example, if you had checked the option "Always create backup copy"
in Tools Options Save, there would be a copy of the previous
version in a file named "Backup of YourDoc.wbk" in the same folder.

If that option wasn't checked, you could still get back the previous
version *only if you haven't already closed the document* by clicking
Undo to remove your changes. Once you close the document, though, the
Undo memory is gone.

See http://www.gmayor.com/automatically_backup.htm and
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/AutomaticSave.htm for
explanations of some other things you can do to prevent the same
problem from happening again.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Greg

Terry,

Graham nailed it ;-)

I didn't see the original question, just Graham's lonely "no." Sorry, I
caused you to take the time to provide an explanation.

TF

No Probs: the question was a bit of a surprise!

tf

"Greg" wrote in message
oups.com...
: Terry,