Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
apoor

Default Hyperlink conversion: Word = PDF

I have tried a half-dozen converters, and can't solve this problem. All will
pick up a URL in the text of a document and make it a hyperlink in the PDF,
but I want to embed the URL as a hyperlink in the text of the Word document.
I only found one that would do this, but it would not render the complex page
formatting properly. Most products preserve the text formatting -- underlined
and blue -- but there's no hyperlink attached to the text in the PDF. I have
tried Neevio, Nuance (ScanSoft), PDF-Xchange, and others. Even Adobe's online
conversion failed at this.

Does anyone know of a product that will do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
apoor

I apologize -- let me try again.

If I type a URL in the body of a Word document -- http://www.fubar.com --
Word will automatically identify this as a link, and by default, will
underline it, change the text to blue, and make it a hyperlink.

If I run a document with such a link through almost all PDF converters, they
will correctly identify this text as a hyperlink, and will make the link
available when the resulting PDF is viewed in Adobe Acrobat Reader.

On the other hand, if I right-click on some text in Word -- such as Fubar
Company -- and choose the Create Hyperlink option, I can associate a URL --
such as http://www.fubar.com -- and the text in the Word document -- Fubar
Company in this case -- will become underlined, blue, and available as a
hyperlink when the document is viewed within Word.

However -- and here's the whole problem -- when I run this second document
through almost all the PDF converters that I have tried, the converted text
for Fubar Company will show up underlined and blue, but it will NOT be a
hyperlink in the PDF document when viewed in Adobe Acrobat Reader. (There was
just one converter that did preserve the embedded hyperlink, but it failed to
render rest of the complex formatting of the document.)

Even Adobe's own online conversion service failed to preserve the embedded
hyperlink in the final PDF document.

I'm willing to pay for a converter that will do the job, but so far I have
not found a single one that appears to be able to do this. Does anyone know
of a product that will do this?

If this still is not clear, please let me know.

Alfred

"apoor" wrote in message
I have tried a half-dozen converters, and can't solve this problem. All
will
pick up a URL in the text of a document and make it a hyperlink in the
PDF,
but I want to embed the URL as a hyperlink in the text of the Word
document.
I only found one that would do this, but it would not render the complex
page
formatting properly. Most products preserve the text formatting --
underlined
and blue -- but there's no hyperlink attached to the text in the PDF. I
have
tried Neevio, Nuance (ScanSoft), PDF-Xchange, and others. Even Adobe's
online
conversion failed at this.

Does anyone know of a product that will do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel

It works when I try it: I create a Word document. I select a word in the
middle then use Insert Hyperlink to associate a web address with that
word. The word is displayed in hyperlink style and, when clicked, opens the
web page. I convert the document to PDF using Acrobat 7. In the resulting
PDF that word is still a hyperlink, exactly as expected.

As you'll see if you press Alt-F9 in your document, all hyperlinks are
{HYPERLINK ...} fields. The only difference between a literal web address
and a word with an associated web address is the display text itself; as
fields they are the same.

So your problem must lie, I think, somewhere else.

"apoor" wrote in message
I have tried a half-dozen converters, and can't solve this problem. All
will
pick up a URL in the text of a document and make it a hyperlink in the
PDF,
but I want to embed the URL as a hyperlink in the text of the Word
document.
I only found one that would do this, but it would not render the
complex
page
formatting properly. Most products preserve the text formatting --
underlined
and blue -- but there's no hyperlink attached to the text in the PDF. I
have
tried Neevio, Nuance (ScanSoft), PDF-Xchange, and others. Even Adobe's
online
conversion failed at this.

Does anyone know of a product that will do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
apoor

Thanks. If I can't find a less-expensive program than Acrobat 7, I'll give it
a try. It's curious that they have support for this in the Acrobat program,
but not in their online converter.

Alfred

"apoor" wrote in message
I have tried a half-dozen converters, and can't solve this problem. All
will
pick up a URL in the text of a document and make it a hyperlink in the
PDF,
but I want to embed the URL as a hyperlink in the text of the Word
document.
I only found one that would do this, but it would not render the
complex
page
formatting properly. Most products preserve the text formatting --
underlined
and blue -- but there's no hyperlink attached to the text in the PDF. I
have
tried Neevio, Nuance (ScanSoft), PDF-Xchange, and others. Even Adobe's
online
conversion failed at this.

Does anyone know of a product that will do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi Apoor,

You may want to try the online converter at GoHTM or their PDF Printer (under $10)
that converts the hyperlinks http://www.gohtm.com/easypdf/index.htm and there is a demo trial you can download. There are quite a
few others 'out there' as well

Adobe's online PDF service can also preserve the hyperlinks but you'll need to specifically select the option
http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/328556.html
You may have encountered similar issues with other converter/printers if tagged PDF isn't a selected option.

========

--
Let us know if this helped you,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

For Everyday MS Office tips to "use right away" -
http://microsoft.com/events/series/a...andtricks.mspx