Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mike Starr Mike Starr is offline

Default InsertCross reference... mergeformat by default??

I use a lot of cross references and after I've inserted them, I apply a
character style to show that they're active links when I generate a PDF of
the document. It's a real pain in the patoot having to tweak each inserted
cross reference to add the mergeformat. Is there any way I can make sure
that my inserted cross references always have the mergeformat option enabled
by default??

Thanks

Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP- Cindy M  -WordMVP- is offline

Hi Mike,

I use a lot of cross references and after I've inserted them, I apply a
character style to show that they're active links when I generate a PDF of
the document. It's a real pain in the patoot having to tweak each inserted
cross reference to add the mergeformat. Is there any way I can make sure
that my inserted cross references always have the mergeformat option enabled
by default??

MergeFormat? I'd have though CharFormat would be the better choice...

And no, I no of no way to force either one. If you're open to a macro
solution, it ought to be possible to write a little macro that loops through
all the fieds in a document, checks if they're REF fields (and could also
check what kind of bookmark name, if that's important), then add this switch
to the end of the field code.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mike Starr Mike Starr is offline

Hi Cindy,

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote in message
Hi Mike,

[...]

Well, I don't know anything about CharFormat... I'll be looking into it.
However, I chose MergeFormat because that's what Word applies if I
right-click on the cross-reference link (Word 2002, SP3), choose the Edit
Field context menu item and then check the Preserve Formatting during
Updates checkbox.

I'm trying to get an understanding of when the Preserve Formatting during
Updates checkbox is checked by default and when it's not checked by default
when inserting cross references (99% of my cross references are to
headings). There seems to be something that controls it but I can't find it.
It seemed for a while that it would be checked by default unless I was
inserting a cross reference into a table cell, in which case it would be
unchecked by default. Lately, it's unchecked all the time. Why?? I haven't a
clue.

I do have a macro that I created to update a highlighted batch of cross
references but it's just annoying to me that sometimes I need to do it and
other times I don't need to do it and I can't figure out why grrr. I creat
ed it on the fly using the macro recorder while I did a search of a selected
batch of toggled cross references for \h and replaced it with \h
\*MERGEFORMAT.

Best regards,

Mike Starr

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP- Cindy M  -WordMVP- is offline

Hi Mike,

There seems to be something that controls it but I can't find it.
It seemed for a while that it would be checked by default unless I was
inserting a cross reference into a table cell, in which case it would be
unchecked by default. Lately, it's unchecked all the time. Why?? I haven't a
clue.

Nor I. Probably, only the person who wrote the C++ code some 10 years ago
knows :-)

Personally, I detest this particular switch because it can give you some
really weird results. MergeFormat notes, character by character, what
formatting has been applied. If the content of the field result changes, the
formatting can end up being in the wrong place, and impossible to get rid of.
I'll use it, on occasion, for linked Excel tables...

CharFormat applies the font formatting of the first field character to all
characters in the field.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon Charles Kenyon is offline

Do look into the CharFormat switch. It almost always gives better results.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Mike Starr" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mike Starr Mike Starr is offline

Hmmm... that's interesting. The only trouble I've ever had with the
MergeFormat switch is in not having it applied. Of course, my cross
references are all to headings and they're all formatted only by the heading
style so there's no opportunity for format overrides to creep in. And I do
use A LOT of cross references, every one of which gets tagged with the
MergeFormat switch.

Mike
"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote in message
Hi Mike,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
GMc GMc is offline

This thread ended in July, but I have the same question (unanswered and
unanswerable, it appears) that Mike has - why does Word sometimes add
MERGEFORMAT into the REF field automagically, and other times not, to a cross
ref. after it is inserted and a char. style applied? And why isn't there a
way to set this for cross ref's?

If CharFormat gives better results, that's great, but it still requires a
manual operation (or a macro) to fix the REF fields. The option to preserve
formatting exists when inserting a REF field; the same should be true for
inserting a cross-ref.
--
GMc
Phoenix