Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoeFrum JoeFrum is offline

Default Stop selecting whole line when select first character?

Hi,

I can select the 2nd character in a line by itself, but if I try to
select just the 1st character in the line, Word "helpfully" selects
the entire line.

Is there some way to turn off or work around that behavior?

Thanks,
JF
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Alan Cobb Alan Cobb is offline

Oops, my goof.

The "regular line of text" I was trying to select the first character
of, was not really a "regular line of text". Actually it was still a
hyper-link. It looked like regular text, because I had done
CTRL+spacebar to remove the styling from it, but underneath it was
still a hyper-link.

So is there some way to just select the first character of a
hyper-link?

Thanks,
JF

Hi,

I can select the 2nd character in a line by itself, but if I try to
select just the 1st character in the line, Word "helpfully" selects
the entire line.

Is there some way to turn off or work around that behavior?

Thanks,
JF

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

There are some Compatibility Options dealing with selection of fields (Tools

Alan Cobb wrote in message
Oops, my goof.

The "regular line of text" I was trying to select the first character
of, was not really a "regular line of text". Actually it was still a
hyper-link. It looked like regular text, because I had done
CTRL+spacebar to remove the styling from it, but underneath it was
still a hyper-link.

So is there some way to just select the first character of a
hyper-link?

Thanks,
JF

Hi,

I can select the 2nd character in a line by itself, but if I try to
select just the 1st character in the line, Word "helpfully" selects
the entire line.

Is there some way to turn off or work around that behavior?

Thanks,
JF

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Place the insertion point _near_ the hyperlink then press the appropriate
arrow key to move the insertion point next to the character. Hold Shift &
press the arrow key again for each consecutive character to be selected.

HTH |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac