Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
nikos nikos is offline

Default problem importing Mailmerge in a doc

Hi to everyone.
I want to use mail merge to drawn data from an Excel sheet to a doc. The
Excel workbook has about 30 sheets. I would like to draw data from 12 of
these sheets (one per month). When I try to do it, delays a lot and return
the msg that cant open the Excel workbook. It shows some random sheets and
fields of the workbook and it seems like "confused". What goes wrong? Is it
the fact that the workbook has many separate sheets?
Any idea to help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Which version of Word/Excel?

What format is the Excel workbook? (.xls? .xlsx? etc.)

Does it make any difference whether you open the workbbook in Excel
first, or try to connect when the sheet (and Excel) are closed?

Could you fairly easily reconstruct the workbook from scratch?

Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

nikos wrote:
Hi to everyone.
I want to use mail merge to drawn data from an Excel sheet to a doc. The
Excel workbook has about 30 sheets. I would like to draw data from 12 of
these sheets (one per month). When I try to do it, delays a lot and return
the msg that cant open the Excel workbook. It shows some random sheets and
fields of the workbook and it seems like "confused". What goes wrong? Is it
the fact that the workbook has many separate sheets?
Any idea to help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
nikos nikos is offline

Thank you for response.
The version (both) is 2003 and the Excel Format is .xls.
I already visit the site http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk and some others and solve
the problem (I think I did).
I have the Greek version of Excel and I used Greek names in all worksheets.
When I change the name in English, of the particular sheet which I am going
to use for mailmerge, the problem solved. (The other names remain Greek). I
think thats was it. That which concern me seriously is the fact that I am
going to add about 12 more sheets (which also will be used in mailmerge in 12
other docs) and if is it wrong something else, must start over again. That is
because i ofthen use Greek names in Excel sheets and nothing happened.
What do you think?
Thank you.

nikos wrote:
Hi to everyone.
I want to use mail merge to drawn data from an Excel sheet to a doc. The
Excel workbook has about 30 sheets. I would like to draw data from 12 of
these sheets (one per month). When I try to do it, delays a lot and return
the msg that cant open the Excel workbook. It shows some random sheets and
fields of the workbook and it seems like "confused". What goes wrong? Is it
the fact that the workbook has many separate sheets?
Any idea to help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Hello Nikos,

What do you think?

With a simple example here (about 30 worksheets in the book, some with
names composed of greek characters, and columns with headings composed
of greek characters) I see the following:
a. connection with OLE DB: this seems to work OK. The sheet names are
listed correctly in the "Tables" dialog box and the column names are
listed correctly in Word's merge field insertion dialogs. Perhaps my
example is too simple to reveal the problems you are having.
b. connection with ODBC: this does not work - the sheet names only
show some greek characters, followed by question marks "?". When I try
to connect to any of those sheets, I see an error message. If I connect
to a sheet that has no greek characters in its name, the connection
succeeds, but the column names are displayed incorrectly
c. connection with DDE: connects OK, but creates its own column names
(M__, AutoMergeField, etc.) instead of the greek ones. But in any case,
DDE connection is not helpful for you because it can only see the first
sheet in the workbook.

I wonder if Word is actually trying to connect with ODBC? If so, it
suggests that OLE DB is failing, which suggests that there could be some
other problem with the sheet. Or as I say, perhaps my sample is too
simple to reveal the problem - you are welcome to send me yours (despam
my email by removing "KillMAPS") if you want.

Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

nikos wrote:
Hi to everyone.
I want to use mail merge to drawn data from an Excel sheet to a doc. The
Excel workbook has about 30 sheets. I would like to draw data from 12 of
these sheets (one per month). When I try to do it, delays a lot and return
the msg that cant open the Excel workbook. It shows some random sheets and
fields of the workbook and it seems like "confused". What goes wrong? Is it
the fact that the workbook has many separate sheets?
Any idea to help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Hello Nikos,

Sorry, I have not received the file here.

Can you try again - the address is pjjatpjjnetdotdemondotcodotuk

where
at=@
dot=.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

nikos wrote:
Hi to everyone.
I want to use mail merge to drawn data from an Excel sheet to a doc. The
Excel workbook has about 30 sheets. I would like to draw data from 12 of
these sheets (one per month). When I try to do it, delays a lot and return
the msg that cant open the Excel workbook. It shows some random sheets and
fields of the workbook and it seems like "confused". What goes wrong? Is it
the fact that the workbook has many separate sheets?
Any idea to help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Hello Nikos

I received this, have loked at it, and have sent you a response with an
attachment. If you do not see it, have a look in your junk mail :-)

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

nikos wrote:
Ok. I have sent it again.

nikos wrote:
Hi to everyone.
I want to use mail merge to drawn data from an Excel sheet to a doc. The
Excel workbook has about 30 sheets. I would like to draw data from 12 of
these sheets (one per month). When I try to do it, delays a lot and return
the msg that cant open the Excel workbook. It shows some random sheets and
fields of the workbook and it seems like "confused". What goes wrong? Is it
the fact that the workbook has many separate sheets?
Any idea to help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
nikos nikos is offline

Thank you very much for your help.

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

Hello Nikos

I received this, have loked at it, and have sent you a response with an
attachment. If you do not see it, have a look in your junk mail :-)

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

nikos wrote:
Ok. I have sent it again.

nikos wrote:
Hi to everyone.
I want to use mail merge to drawn data from an Excel sheet to a doc. The
Excel workbook has about 30 sheets. I would like to draw data from 12 of
these sheets (one per month). When I try to do it, delays a lot and return
the msg that cant open the Excel workbook. It shows some random sheets and
fields of the workbook and it seems like "confused". What goes wrong? Is it
the fact that the workbook has many separate sheets?
Any idea to help.

Problem importing recipients from nominated Excel worksheet Blackard Mailmerge 3 January 22nd 09 08:42 AM
Mailmerge problem! Janelle Mailmerge 2 July 5th 08 08:28 PM
Mailmerge Problem DennisB Mailmerge 0 March 18th 08 04:19 PM
Mailmerge problem Frustrated Mailmerge 3 April 27th 07 09:22 PM
trouble importing excel files into the word mailmerge Fred via OfficeKB.com Mailmerge 4 November 9th 05 04:09 AM