Hansnanc

Default Word 2000

I created a mail merge document. To create a telephone directory. When I
merge the information it is dropping every 5th entry. There are 4 entries per
page on the template (pf).

Any ideas??
Peter Jamieson

If you have 4 { NEXT } fields (Next record fields) in your mail merge
main document, you have one too many - if you have one before the first
record or after the last record, delete it.

Peter Jamieosn
"Hansnanc" wrote in message
news
I created a mail merge document. To create a telephone directory. When I
merge the information it is dropping every 5th entry. There are 4 entries
per
page on the template (pf).

Any ideas??

Gert Raes

Peter,

an additional question to this subject :

sometimes I have to create a mailmerge document, not knowing how many
entries there will be.
How can I create a perfect document without having to many blank lines (if
the amount of entries is smaller than the lines I've created in my document) ?

Gert

"Peter Jamieson" schreef:

If you have 4 { NEXT } fields (Next record fields) in your mail merge
main document, you have one too many - if you have one before the first
record or after the last record, delete it.

Peter Jamieosn
"Hansnanc" wrote in message
news
I created a mail merge document. To create a telephone directory. When I
merge the information it is dropping every 5th entry. There are 4 entries
per
page on the template (pf).

Any ideas??

Peter Jamieson

Typically when people try to do this, they are attempting to do "multiple
items per condition". In that case, Word itsn't very good at it, but have a
look at Cindy Meister's page at

http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister/

Look for Mail Merge FAQ, Special Merges, Multiple items per condition.

It's worth pointing out that in each Office Service Pack, Microsoft tries to
tighten security and that often creates problems whenever you try to include
information using fields.

Peter Jamieson

"Peter Jamieson" schreef:

If you have 4 { NEXT } fields (Next record fields) in your mail merge
main document, you have one too many - if you have one before the first
record or after the last record, delete it.

Peter Jamieosn
"Hansnanc" wrote in message
news
I created a mail merge document. To create a telephone directory. When
merge the information it is dropping every 5th entry. There are 4
entries
per
page on the template (pf).

Any ideas??

Gert Raes

Maybe I missed it at Cindy's site but :

It's actually a quite simple document
{MERGEFIELD M_1}
{MERGEFIELD M_2} {NEXT}
This goes on for pages and at the end there is a line without a {NEXT}

But for example: if my document contains 1000 of these lines and my
datasource has only 250 entries, I end up with a lot of blank lines....

"Peter Jamieson" schreef:

If you have 4 { NEXT } fields (Next record fields) in your mail merge
main document, you have one too many - if you have one before the first
record or after the last record, delete it.

Peter Jamieosn
"Hansnanc" wrote in message
news I created a mail merge document. To create a telephone directory. When
merge the information it is dropping every 5th entry. There are 4
entries
per
page on the template (pf).

Any ideas??

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?R2VydCBSYWVz?=,

Maybe I missed it at Cindy's site but :

It's actually a quite simple document
{MERGEFIELD M_1}
{MERGEFIELD M_2} {NEXT}
This goes on for pages and at the end there is a line without a {NEXT}

But for example: if my document contains 1000 of these lines and my
datasource has only 250 entries, I end up with a lot of blank lines....

None of the techniques that give a "good" result use the NEXT field. One
uses a DATABASE field to generate at table for the results. The other a
complex combination of SET and IF fields. In both cases, there's a link
to documentation that explains the approach in detail. The DATABASE field
approach is simpler to set up, but the other one gives you more
flexibility in how the result will look.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org