Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
danhattan danhattan is offline

Default Can merge fields be locked?

I created three merge forms - all linked to the same data source - that our
people have been using full-time for the past week. At least once each day
this week I've had to "correct" their forms. One of the reasons has been that
they inadvertently type over a field after forgetting to put that field's
information in the data source file.

Is there any way to "lock" the merge fields so that they can't be edited on
the main documents? I know this can be done in Excel but can't find it in
Word. I'm using Word 2003.

Thanks very much for any help anyone can offer.

Dan
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Without knowing more about your forms, it is hard to be sure, but I think
that you are probably using the wrong tool for the job.

See
http://www.mousetrax.com/techpage.html#autoforms

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"danhattan" wrote in message
I created three merge forms - all linked to the same data source - that
our
people have been using full-time for the past week. At least once each day
this week I've had to "correct" their forms. One of the reasons has been
that
they inadvertently type over a field after forgetting to put that field's
information in the data source file.

Is there any way to "lock" the merge fields so that they can't be edited
on
the main documents? I know this can be done in Excel but can't find it in
Word. I'm using Word 2003.

Thanks very much for any help anyone can offer.

Dan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
danhattan danhattan is offline

Hi Doug.

Thanks for the response. Just returned from vacation today and didn't want
you to think your response was ignored.

Not sure this helps with my specific question, but the link you added is
terrific! I think I've already read through about 3 of her articles, and sure
I'll be reading through all of them at some point.

Thanks again.

Locked Fields cat Mailmerge 1 July 1st 06 07:55 AM
Locked Fields jrussell Microsoft Word Help 1 April 4th 06 12:52 PM
locked fields Tony the tiger Microsoft Word Help 1 March 26th 06 11:51 PM
Mail Merge Error locked fields Lisa Microsoft Word Help 1 January 19th 05 08:00 PM
mail merge problem - "Word found locked fields during the update.. zgaryt Tables 1 January 9th 05 01:04 PM