Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul B[_5_] Paul B[_5_] is offline

Default Strange File Save behavior

I'm consistently seeing some curious behavior when I go to Save
new documents.

First, I'll Save the document with absolutely no hiccups.

Then, on the next Save operation, I will get a notice that there
are errors in the file. Do I want to see the repairs or just
save, or cancel. If I select See the repairs, nothing shows, so I
just Save.

Thereafter, Saving the file occurs without incident.

So, I think there is an error in my Normal.dot template, but it's
minor enough that it doesn't show. Since I've redone much of the
template, and exported elements out to auxiliary templates to
lighten the load on normal.dot, I don't think there's much I can
do about that.

But what baffles me is why the error doesn't show up on the FIRST
Save rather than the second.

p.
--
Using Office 2003 sp3 on Windows XP Home
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Exit Word. Then locate and rename the normal.dot file. Normal.dot will be in
your user profile, but you can find it quickly via Windows find utility
(press Windows key + F to open it). Be sure to search hidden files and
folders.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Paul B" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

For more on troubleshooting in Word, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...artingWord.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Paul B" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul B[_5_] Paul B[_5_] is offline

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 07:06:01 -0700, Stefan Blom wrote:

Exit Word. Then locate and rename the normal.dot file. Normal.dot will be in
your user profile, but you can find it quickly via Windows find utility
(press Windows key + F to open it). Be sure to search hidden files and
folders.

I *really* do not want to lose my normal.dot, and I've made all
kinds of attempts to rewrite or separate off parts of it to
remove the error.

So I'll put up with this anomaly unless it gets more serious.

Thanks,
p.
--
Using Office 2003 sp3 on Windows XP Home

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Exactly. Renaming it means that it is still there, and you can copy styles
and/or (error-free) macros from it to your newly created copy of Normal.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote:
On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 07:06:01 -0700, Stefan Blom wrote:
Exit Word. Then locate and rename the normal.dot file. Normal.dot will
be in
your user profile, but you can find it quickly via Windows find utility
(press Windows key + F to open it). Be sure to search hidden files and
folders.

I *really* do not want to lose my normal.dot, and I've made all
kinds of attempts to rewrite or separate off parts of it to
remove the error.

So I'll put up with this anomaly unless it gets more serious.

Thanks,
p.
--
Using Office 2003 sp3 on Windows XP Home

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul B[_5_] Paul B[_5_] is offline

On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 10:20:22 +0200, Stefan Blom wrote:

Exactly. Renaming it means that it is still there, and you can copy styles
and/or (error-free) macros from it to your newly created copy of Normal.

Ok. Since I've done so much to try to eliminate the error, I have
a feeling that the problem is in the custom toolbar I've created,
which would take some time to replicate. I've exported it to a
separate template, though, so I should be able to isolate it as a
source of the problem.

Will give this some more thought.
Thanks,
p.
--
Using Office 2003 sp3 on Windows XP Home
Behold, I will allure her, I will lead her into the wilderness
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hopefully you will be able to fix this. If you run into further troubles,
post back.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP