Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
don don is offline

Default Total Page

How about a total page field (option) that indexes on 1? Total page field
currently provides total pages in document or by section, but if you set the
page numbering to start at 1 with the body and have multiple sections
continously numbered, you have to manually insert total page # (page x of y)
in each section.
--
dwb

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...ord.pagelayout

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Don,

Word's PAGE field can be formatted to start with any number from 0 to 32766 in any Section of a document - simply don't put a page
number field in any Section that isn't to be numbered. That takes care of the 'x' part of any likely "page 'x' of 'y'" scenario.

If your document only has two Sections, then a SECTIONPAGES field in Section 2 takes care of the 'y' part of any likely "page 'x' of
'y'" scenario.

For documents with more than two Sections, a bit of work with Word's NUMPAGES field will give the 'y' result you want. As you may
know, Word's NUMPAGES field gives to page count for the entire document. If you want to exclude certain pages from the count, you
can incorporate the NUMPAGES field into a formula field, as in:
{={NUMPAGES}-n}
where 'n' is the number to subtract. Then press F9 to update the field. In most cases, this is sufficient. If 'n' is dynamic,
however, you need to be a bit more creative. If, for example, you want to exclude all the pages in Section1 from the page count,
then you could put a field coded like:
{SET NoCount {SECTIONPAGES}}
into that Section - preferably in the header or footer, where it won't be deleted easily. Then press F9 to update the field. Now
code the page count field in the relevant Section(s) as:
{={NUMPAGES}-NoCount}
and press F9 to update the field. You could extend this approach to accommodate more than one Section if need be.

In the above examples, all of the field braces are created in pairs via Ctrl-F9 - you can't simply type them in. Conversely, you
could use Insert|Field to insert a PAGE, SECTIONPAGES or NUMPAGES field. The starting number control for the PAGE field is available
via the Header/Footer toolbar.

Cheers

--
macropod