Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jem Jem is offline

Default How do I edit the footnote text style?

I'm using Word 2003 and the footnote text doesn't appear as a style despite
the drop down box at head containing it. It's a puzzle. Can anybody tell me
what I'm doing wrong?

Jem
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carol Carol is offline

How are you creating your footnote?
--
Carol A. Bratt, MCP

"Jem" wrote:

I'm using Word 2003 and the footnote text doesn't appear as a style despite
the drop down box at head containing it. It's a puzzle. Can anybody tell me
what I'm doing wrong?

Jem

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It is impossible to understand, let alone explain, the logic of the Styles
and Formatting task pane, where "All Styles" doesn't actually mean *all*
styles (see
http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/sfpa...tingPane.html). There
are three ways to modify the Footnote Text style:

1. As Shauna describes, select "Show: Custom" in the Styles and Formatting
task pane, then click the Styles... button to get to the Styles dialog;
scroll to Footnote Text and click Modify...

2. Make your changes in a Footnote Text paragraph, then press Shift while
clicking the arrow beside the Style dropdown list on the Formatting toolbar.
This will force the list to display all styles. Select Footnote Text and
click OK to the ensuing dialog, which asks if you want to update the style.
Note that you won't get this dialog unless you have "Prompt to update style"
checked on the Edit tab of Tools | Options.

3. Add a Redefine Style button to your Formatting toolbar. You'll find this
command listed in All Commands in the Customize dialog; it doesn't have an
icon, so you'll have to select or create one. Also note that updating a
style this way does not create an item in the Undo list, making it harder to
Undo, but it does make it possible to update *any* style based on current
formatting with a single click.