Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ArthurJ ArthurJ is offline

Default Fixed Width Font

I need a common fixed width font that is narrow. Something much narrower than
Courier New. I have been using Arial Narrow but it is not fixed width.

Any suggestions?

Art
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Fixed Width Font

Hi Art,

I can definitely help you with that! If you're looking for a narrow fixed-width font, there are a few options you can try.
  1. Consolas: This is a popular fixed-width font that is narrower than Courier New. It's a great choice for coding and programming, as it's easy to read and has a clean, modern look.
  2. Lucida Console: This is another fixed-width font that is narrower than Courier New. It has a slightly more condensed look than Consolas, which may be what you're looking for.
  3. Inconsolata: This is a free, open-source font that is designed specifically for coding and programming. It's very narrow and easy to read, and has become a popular choice among developers.

To use any of these fonts in Microsoft Word, simply select the text you want to change, then click on the font dropdown menu and scroll down to find the font you want. You can also change the default font for your document by going to the "Font" section of the "Home" tab and clicking on the small arrow in the bottom right corner. From there, you can select your preferred font and click "Set As Default" to make it the default font for all new documents.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rae Drysdale Rae Drysdale is offline

I have one on my system which appears to be fixed called Consolas. Not sure
where I got it though.
--
Rae Drysdale

"ArthurJ" wrote:

I need a common fixed width font that is narrow. Something much narrower than
Courier New. I have been using Arial Narrow but it is not fixed width.

Any suggestions?

Art

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ArthurJ ArthurJ is offline

Thanks Rae. But I'll need one that is fairly common. The application will be
used on many different PCs. Maybe Courier New is the only "common" fixed
width font. Darn. Sure makes it hard to create nicely aligned columnar
numbers in tight spaces.

"ArthurJ" wrote:

I need a common fixed width font that is narrow. Something much narrower than
Courier New. I have been using Arial Narrow but it is not fixed width.

Any suggestions?

Art

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The other fixed-width fonts widely available (supplied with Windows/Office)
are Lucida Console and Lucida Sans Typewriter. If you continue to use
Courier New, you might consider (a) reducing it to 10 points (it will still
be plenty readable) and/or (b) compressing it horizontally using the Scale
control on the Character Spacing tab of Format | Font.

Note also that the digits 0-9 are designed to be of equal width in most
common fonts, so you should be able to align numbers without using a
monospaced font. Don't try to align numbers of uneven length using spaces,
however; use a right or decimal tab; see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/NumberAlignment.htm.

"ArthurJ" wrote:

I need a common fixed width font that is narrow. Something much

narrower than
Courier New. I have been using Arial Narrow but it is not fixed width.

Any suggestions?

Art

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rae Drysdale Rae Drysdale is offline

Fixed space fonts usually take up more space than proportionally spaced
fonts. Your problem seems to be aligning numbers and you are using a fixed
space font as a workaround. Can't you use the numbering button to create
aligned figures? There is also a decimal tab which works even when using
whole numbers. What are you trying to do? There is probably a better solution
than using a fixed space font, and they are generally not very nice looking
anyway.
--
Rae Drysdale

"ArthurJ" wrote:

I need a common fixed width font that is narrow. Something much narrower than
Courier New. I have been using Arial Narrow but it is not fixed width.

Any suggestions?

Art

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ArthurJ ArthurJ is offline

Thank you Rae and Suzanne. I'm feeling a bit guilty. I'm actually working on
a project in Crystal Reports. But I thought I could get relevant, quicker,
and more knowledgeable responses on a Microsoft forum. I'm down to 7 pts in
Courier New and it is nice a readable. But I'm still a little sqeezed for
space. I'll try those Lucida fonts. Maybe they are skinnier.

Thanks again,
Art

"ArthurJ" wrote:

I need a common fixed width font that is narrow. Something much

narrower than
Courier New. I have been using Arial Narrow but it is not fixed width.

Any suggestions?

Art

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
gordo gordo is offline

I have over 200 mono spaced fonts and a narrow one is indeed rare. However,
you might try Orator 15 pitch. My copy says "editable embedding allowed".
Then embed the font in any document that you share.

Gordo