Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Desperate Dan Desperate Dan is offline

Default Cross-Reference Dialog Box

In Word 2007, the Cross-Reference dialog box shows only some of the Figure
captions and many that appear do so twice. The TOC and Lists of Tables and
Figures also have omissions but not so many. The document was converted from
Word 2000. I'm on XP. Any ideas, anyone?

--
Long-time Word user.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

How did you create the captions? Do they all have caption labels defined?

Also, are you tracking changes?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Desperate Dan" wrote in message
In Word 2007, the Cross-Reference dialog box shows only some of the Figure
captions and many that appear do so twice. The TOC and Lists of Tables and
Figures also have omissions but not so many. The document was converted
from
Word 2000. I'm on XP. Any ideas, anyone?

--
Long-time Word user.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Desperate Dan Desperate Dan is offline

Hello Stefan; I'm pleased to hear from you.

-All captions legally defined.
-Tracking changes intermittently; due to their frequency they must be
Accepted at least daily.

I have deleted and re-created captions to no effect. The problem is worse
with "Figure" captions than with "Table" captions. A very few headings are
omitted from the TOC.

The problem developed several days after conversion from Word 2000 during
which time I made some edits which may have included the insertion of some
captions.

--
Long-time Word user.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

How did you create the captions? Do they all have caption labels defined?

Also, are you tracking changes?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Desperate Dan" wrote in message
In Word 2007, the Cross-Reference dialog box shows only some of the Figure
captions and many that appear do so twice. The TOC and Lists of Tables and
Figures also have omissions but not so many. The document was converted
from
Word 2000. I'm on XP. Any ideas, anyone?

--
Long-time Word user.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Desperate Dan Desperate Dan is offline

Later. I have installed SP3 but it makes no difference. I have deleted and
re-created the Figure captions that don't show in the generated list but they
are ignored, irrespective of where I create them. They show their correct
numbers.
--
Long-time Word user.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

How did you create the captions? Do they all have caption labels defined?

Also, are you tracking changes?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Desperate Dan" wrote in message
In Word 2007, the Cross-Reference dialog box shows only some of the Figure
captions and many that appear do so twice. The TOC and Lists of Tables and
Figures also have omissions but not so many. The document was converted
from
Word 2000. I'm on XP. Any ideas, anyone?

--
Long-time Word user.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Obviously, trouble-shooting this from a distance is difficult.

If you want to, I can take a look at the document. You can send it to
.

--

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

How did you create the captions? Do they all have caption labels
defined?

Also, are you tracking changes?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Desperate Dan" wrote in message
In Word 2007, the Cross-Reference dialog box shows only some of the
Figure
captions and many that appear do so twice. The TOC and Lists of
Tables and
Figures also have omissions but not so many. The document was
converted
from
Word 2000. I'm on XP. Any ideas, anyone?

--
Long-time Word user.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Desperate Dan Desperate Dan is offline

Deeply regret unable forward document. Security policy absolutely forbids.

In default of your inspiration shall begin rebuilding from scratch.

Thank you for your effort, Stefan.
--
Long-time Word user.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

How did you create the captions? Do they all have caption labels
defined?

Also, are you tracking changes?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Desperate Dan" wrote in message
In Word 2007, the Cross-Reference dialog box shows only some of the
Figure
captions and many that appear do so twice. The TOC and Lists of
Tables and
Figures also have omissions but not so many. The document was
converted
from
Word 2000. I'm on XP. Any ideas, anyone?

--
Long-time Word user.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

OK. Can you reproduce the problem in a new document? If not, you may want to
treat your problem document as corrupt; see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...artingWord.htm.

--

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

How did you create the captions? Do they all have caption labels
defined?

Also, are you tracking changes?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Desperate Dan" wrote in message
In Word 2007, the Cross-Reference dialog box shows only some of
the
Figure
captions and many that appear do so twice. The TOC and Lists of
Tables and
Figures also have omissions but not so many. The document was
converted
from
Word 2000. I'm on XP. Any ideas, anyone?

--
Long-time Word user.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Desperate Dan Desperate Dan is offline

I would have to create a document in 2000 (which I we no longer have) and
convert it in the hope of it suffering the same fate. I need to spend time
rebuilding this one by end of May. I shall preserve the faulty one in the
hopes of diagnosing it later. (The link you gave doesn't help, but thank you).
--
Long-time Word user.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

How did you create the captions? Do they all have caption labels
defined?

Also, are you tracking changes?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Desperate Dan" wrote in message
In Word 2007, the Cross-Reference dialog box shows only some of
the
Figure
captions and many that appear do so twice. The TOC and Lists of
Tables and
Figures also have omissions but not so many. The document was
converted
from
Word 2000. I'm on XP. Any ideas, anyone?

--
Long-time Word user.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Sorry, I posted the wrong link. This one is for (possibly) corrupt
documents: http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP