Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
NJS

Default updating source data

Good day All,
Does anyone know how to update the data in a (.mdb) data-source from a Word
document - it seems most of the properties are read-only? I would like to
have a Word document with named fields that users type data, then, with a
button/code update the data-source. MS Access will probably not be available.
thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?TkpT?=,

Does anyone know how to update the data in a (.mdb) data-source from a Word
document - it seems most of the properties are read-only? I would like to
have a Word document with named fields that users type data, then, with a
button/code update the data-source. MS Access will probably not be available.

there is absolutely nothing at all in Word that supports this. Excel, yes. But
in Word you'd have to program every scrap of it.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
NJS

Thanks Cindy,
I realize this.
Maybe my question should read 'which object model is used to program the
source data'? (Because the Word/Mailmerge model does not have an 'update
-data' method?)
If it is mdb, can one assume a partial Access object library?

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?TkpT?=,

Does anyone know how to update the data in a (.mdb) data-source from a Word
document - it seems most of the properties are read-only? I would like to
have a Word document with named fields that users type data, then, with a
button/code update the data-source. MS Access will probably not be available.

there is absolutely nothing at all in Word that supports this. Excel, yes. But
in Word you'd have to program every scrap of it.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?TkpT?=,

Maybe my question should read 'which object model is used to program the
source data'? (Because the Word/Mailmerge model does not have an 'update
-data' method?)
If it is mdb, can one assume a partial Access object library?

Record a macro while connecting to a data source and you'll see how the
object model handles it. It uses a technology (DDE, ODBC or OLEDB) to
connect to the data and pull it in. There's nothing, really, you can hook
into. Word doesn't care what database program is at the other end.

If you're asking what data source Word mail merge creates when you ask it
to create one for you, that depends on the version of Word. In Word
2002/2003 by default it's a *.mdb (Access database).

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
NJS

Thanks Cindy,
I was wasting too much time trying to determine what Access objects were
available on a machine with no Access, so I have solved the problem by using
a Word merge source and addressing the columns in the second row.

Hi ?B?TkpT?=,