Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
justagrunt justagrunt is offline

Default Graham Mayor - Insert Text From Dropdown form feild

Hi Graham,
Word 2000.
I'm trying to use the example of inserting text from a dropdown form field
and have a dew questions.
Basically I have a mail merge document which populates from access. I
figured if I added your example of a drop down to the letter, the user could
then decide what additional text or docs to add after the merge was completed.

If we start from a mail merged document template.
I have followed the example and added a dropdown along with the field codes
etc and the exit macro and ticked the correct boxes in the options. The drop
down function doesn't work i.e there is no ability to select a document (Job)
of which I have 11. I used the form toolbar to place the dropdown on the
document. With the design function removed the untouched document has a
greyed feild, it is a bookmark called "Dropdown1".
The feild on the document shows section1 which is one of the 11 documents
which is in the drop-down item list - its happens to be the first one.
No drop down working.

When the mail merge was complete the letter was formatted and low and behold
the whole of section1 had been pasted and the field "Section1" was also
showing. I had hoped that there would be a dropdown list like a combo box
visible somewhere to select a document.

What have I done wrong?
Can this dropdown be used to select and add 3 or 4 or the whole lot - one at
a time by repeated selection?

My quest is a marthon at present - but I figure eventually I will get
something that works to add automatically other portions of text to a
document.

Thanks for your assitance.
--
Regards
Bill
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Formfields and mail merge are not compatible.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"justagrunt" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
justagrunt justagrunt is offline

Thanks Doug,
Drat - slowly finding the limitations of automation etc.
Much appreciated.
Plan "D" time.
--
Regards
Bill

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

For Plan "D", in place of the mail merge main document, I would create a
template in which I would have {DOCVARIABLE fieldname } fields in place of
the {MERGEFIELD fieldname } fields. Then I would create a macro that would
access the datasource and iterate through the records, for each record,
creating a new document from the template and creating Document Variable
fields in that document that contained the data from the current record and
then updated the fields in the new document so that the data that was stored
in those variables appeared in the { DOCVARIABLE } fields.