David French

Default copy visible text

I'd like to know if there is a way in Word when I have the document viewed
in Outline to copy just the visible levels of text without getting
everything in between. I am viewing a certain level (ie. Level 3) and only
want to copy those level headings.

I know this is an option in Excel but I haven't come across it in Word.

I'm on Windows XP using Office 2003.

Dave French

Daiya Mitchell

I don't think so...I think the best you can do is temporarily create a TOC
pulling only level 3, then UnLink the TOC Field and copy that, then delete
it.

(You can print just what you see in Outline View, just make sure you don't
go into Print Preview first, if that's any use)

For the TOC method, start he
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/toc/CreateATOC.html

The TOC will be a field, to keep the text in it from changing, you need to
either lock it or convert it to text. See the Help topic " Prevent changes
to information inserted by a field" on how to do that.

This feature would be nice--but see here for why the current behavior is
nicer:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/UsingOLView.htm
Ideally, there would be a command to let us do both...

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Why will Word 2003 not allow me to copy text? RcL_Raptor Microsoft Word Help 3 February 2nd 05 12:05 AM
How do I copy certain text from a protected document? Melissa Microsoft Word Help 1 January 19th 05 04:24 PM
Outline Renee Hendershott Page Layout 2 December 25th 04 02:49 PM
Word opens with hidden text visible Alan4297 Microsoft Word Help 3 December 23rd 04 04:09 PM
Cannot copy text which appears with black dots below it! Richiev4 Microsoft Word Help 1 November 24th 04 05:03 PM