mj_bowen mj_bowen is offline
Junior Member

Default Word Mail Merge - Format text size switch

Hi,

I have successfully set up a mail merge document from Excel to a word doc. I would like to know how to change the text size of certain parts of a mergefield.

For example one of the merge fields shows;

Th H T U
3 4 5 6

I would like Th H T U to be say, size 8 and 3456 size 16. I am aware that you can change the text size using the traditional way in word, but he formatting does not stay that way once the mrgefield is updated. I a sure the answer lies in a format switch???!!

yours hopefully,

Matt
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi mj_bowen,

Word has no facility for applying a different format to part of a field's result. The fact your letters and numbers appear on
different lines suggest they're actually separate mergefields, in which case you can format each one independently of the other. To
help with the formatting, check out the CHARFORMAT switch.

--
Cheers
macropod

"mj_bowen" wrote in message ...

Hi,

I have successfully set up a mail merge document from Excel to a word
doc. I would like to know how to change the text size of certain parts
of a mergefield.

For example one of the merge fields shows;

Th H T U
3 4 5 6

I would like Th H T U to be say, size 8 and 3456 size 16. I am aware
that you can change the text size using the traditional way in word,
but he formatting does not stay that way once the mrgefield is updated.
I a sure the answer lies in a format switch???!!

yours hopefully,

Matt

--
mj_bowen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

If these eight values come from a single field in the data source, the
only way you are likely to achieve this in a mailmerge without splitting
the field into 2 fields or 8 fields, is as follows:
a. after you have inserted the mergefield, use Alt-F9 to display the
field code, e.g.

{ MERGEFIELD myfield }

b. if there is no \*Mergeformat switch in there, type one in so you
end up with

{ MERGEFIELD myfield \*Mergefield }

c. Use Alt-F9 so you see the field in its "chevron" view, e.g.

myfield

d. click the preview button so you see some results

Th H T U
3 4 5 6

e. Format line one of the result how you want.
f. Format line two of the result how you want.
g. verify that the formats are retained when you preview a different
record in the data source
h. do the merge and check the output.

You may need to show paragraph marks etc. to let you select the two
different liens in (e) and (f) successfully.

This is what \*Mergeformat is supposed to be for, but I don't think it
is much used in practice for the kind of thing you are doing, and almost
certainly not with a paragraph mark or line break in the middle. So it's
difficult whether it is usable in practice, and certainly not something
I'd particularly want to rely on too heavily. More importantly, if the
number of "words" in the field varies, e.g. one record only has 6
"words", Word will forget the format it used for "words" 7 and 8 in the
next record.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk
Visit Londinium at http://www.ralphwatson.tv

On 26/10/2009 17:39, mj_bowen wrote:
Hi,

I have successfully set up a mail merge document from Excel to a word
doc. I would like to know how to change the text size of certain parts
of a mergefield.

For example one of the merge fields shows;

Th H T U
3 4 5 6

I would like Th H T U to be say, size 8 and 3456 size 16. I am aware
that you can change the text size using the traditional way in word,
but he formatting does not stay that way once the mrgefield is updated.
I a sure the answer lies in a format switch???!!

yours hopefully,

Matt

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Peter,

b. if there is no \*Mergeformat switch in there, type one in so you
end up with

{ MERGEFIELD myfield \*Mergefield }

That'd be:
{ MERGEFIELD myfield \* Mergeformat }