Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ed Ed is offline

Default Slow startup

Whenever I open Word it takes about 15 seconds for it to get beyond
the opening flash. I though it
was AVG doing the Resident Shield check, but I turned that off and it
didn't help.

Any thoughts?

TIA

Ed

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Possibly the printer driver or a partially corrupt normal.dot.

See the following FAQ for help diagnosing this problem.

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...artingWord.htm

Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Ed" wrote in message
Whenever I open Word it takes about 15 seconds for it to get beyond the
opening flash. I though it
was AVG doing the Resident Shield check, but I turned that off and it
didn't help.

Any thoughts?

TIA

Ed

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It could still be AVG - unregister the calling Office DLL by running the
following command line from Windows Start Run
regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG7\avgoff2k.dll"

Or

It could be a problem with the normal template or an add-in (Acrobat's
add-ins are favourites for causing problems)

Ed wrote:
Whenever I open Word it takes about 15 seconds for it to get beyond
the opening flash. I though it
was AVG doing the Resident Shield check, but I turned that off and it
didn't help.

Any thoughts?

TIA

Ed

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ed Ed is offline

Thanks Terry & Graham.

I moved everything from C:\Documents and Settings\Ed\Application
Data\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP and
all but normal.dot from C:\Documents and Settings\Ed\Application
Data\Microsoft\Templates. Still slow
startup of Word. Changed normal.dot to normal.old and Word starts
fast. After closing Word there is a new copy of normal.dot,
and from then on slow startups.

Also note that on the first startup after removal of normal.dot I can
see "Requesting virus scan..." in the lower bar of the Word
window when I load a document. That takes about 15 seconds. I was
surprised, since I had the AVG Resident shield
turned off. Guess I don't know how to turn it off.

Graham, what does the regsvr32 /u "C:\Program
Files\Grisoft\AVG7\avgoff2k.dll do? Is it reversible?
Also, how do I check into a Acrobat problem? I do use it.

Thanks again.

Ed

"Ed" wrote in message
Whenever I open Word it takes about 15 seconds for it to get beyond
the opening flash. I though it
was AVG doing the Resident Shield check, but I turned that off and
it didn't help.

Any thoughts?

TIA

Ed

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Robert Robert is offline

Hi,
I had the same problem.
I created a ´.CMD¡ file that systematically deletes any ´normal.dot¡ or
´normal.dotm¡ file at each Windows startup.
Word 2007 is now always loading with lightning speed.
Cheers,
Robert

"Ed" wrote in message
Whenever I open Word it takes about 15 seconds for it to get beyond
the opening flash. I though it
was AVG doing the Resident Shield check, but I turned that off and
it didn't help.

Any thoughts?

TIA

Ed

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG7\avgoff2k.dll
unregisters the dll thus disabling it.
You can reverse the process by reregistering it ie remove the /u switch from
the command line.

"Ed" wrote in message
Whenever I open Word it takes about 15 seconds for it to get beyond
the opening flash. I though it
was AVG doing the Resident Shield check, but I turned that off and
it didn't help.

Any thoughts?

TIA

Ed

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It might be faster, but it is now incapable of working as intended, so it
is a ridiculous idea.
If Word starts slowly, there is a good reason for it and that is usually to
do with add-ins (though Word 2003 will start slowly next time it is started
after saving a change to normal.dot)

"Ed" wrote in message
Whenever I open Word it takes about 15 seconds for it to get beyond
the opening flash. I though it
was AVG doing the Resident Shield check, but I turned that off and
it didn't help.

Any thoughts?

TIA

Ed

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Robert Robert is offline

Word launches actually much faster, almost instantaneously. So the benefits
are huge as far as I am concerned.
It so happened that Word 2007 was launching slower and slower at each new
run on my system.
Word 2007 might not be working as it is intended by MS but it is now
working to my satisfaction! What more would I want?

This said, I don¡¦t have any plug-in installed.
And I don¡¦t understand what might be causing this gradual and persistent
slow-down¡K
I can only think of what you suggested yourself, i.e. that some changes are
systematically saved each time I shut Word down. And they take more time to
load at each new run.

----------------------------------

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 10:30:07 +0300, Graham Mayor wrote:

It might be faster, but it is now incapable of working as intended, so it
is a ridiculous idea.
If Word starts slowly, there is a good reason for it and that is usually to
do with add-ins (though Word 2003 will start slowly next time it is started
after saving a change to normal.dot)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you set the 'prompt before saving the normal template' option (Word
Options Advanced Save), you can choose what you allow to be saved in the
normal template. The normal template in Word 2007 is quite small compared
with it predecessors, and mine, despite the presence of many macros, loads
in 2.5 seconds. Not instantly I grant you, but it does what it is supposed
to do - store personalisations!

Robert wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Check out your temp folder. When all applications are closed, it should be completely empty. I suggest that from a fresh reboot and before you start any other apps, open the temp folder and delete all its contents.

Then rename normal.dot to normal.bad. Now open Word. Now close Word. Was it fast or slow? After making a change that needs to be saved to normal.dot (say your default page margins or default font), close Word and note the size of normal.dot.

If Word starts to get slower, note the size of normal.dot to see if it is bloating.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Robert" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ed Ed is offline

Graham,

I use Word 2002. Is it subject to the same problem as 2003?

Ed

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
It might be faster, but it is now incapable of working as intended,
so it is a ridiculous idea.
If Word starts slowly, there is a good reason for it and that is
usually to do with add-ins (though Word 2003 will start slowly next
time it is started after saving a change to normal.dot)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ed Ed is offline

Graham,

What kind of personalizations are you referring to here? I haven't
written any macros that I know of,
but I do have some paragraph styles. Also, I do use Doc-2-Help, which
is loaded with them I expect.
However, in recent tests I've moved all the D2H .dot files out of the
STARTUP directories and it
didn't seem to help.

Ed

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
If you set the 'prompt before saving the normal template' option
(Word Options Advanced Save), you can choose what you allow to
be saved in the normal template. The normal template in Word 2007 is
quite small compared with it predecessors, and mine, despite the
presence of many macros, loads in 2.5 seconds. Not instantly I grant
you, but it does what it is supposed to do - store personalisations!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ed Ed is offline

Terry,

My normal.doc is 46KB. If I change it to normal.old the fresh one created the next time I open Word is 29KB.
But, as I said, it will still take 15 seconds the next time I start Word.

Ed

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message ...
Check out your temp folder. When all applications are closed, it should be completely empty. I suggest that from a fresh reboot and before you start any other apps, open the temp folder and delete all its contents.

Then rename normal.dot to normal.bad. Now open Word. Now close Word. Was it fast or slow? After making a change that needs to be saved to normal.dot (say your default page margins or default font), close Word and note the size of normal.dot.

If Word starts to get slower, note the size of normal.dot to see if it is bloating.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Robert Robert is offline

Graham and Terry,
Thank you very much for your tips and efforts.
But to be honest with you I am quite happy with the default template when I
am using it. As a matter of fact, I use specific or personalized templates
most of the time. So deleting the ¡§normal¡¨ template is no problem. It has
two benefits: my ¡§Normal¡¨ template remains set at its default values (which
is sometimes handy), and Word loads fast (which is a real blessing).
I haven¡¦t monitored the size of the ¡§Normal.dotm¡¨ file on my system but one
thing is certain, if I leave things to run as they normally do, Word starts
seconds to simply load an empty new document. When my ¡§Normal.dotm¡¨ file is
deleted before running Word, Word launches almost as fast as Notepad does.
Regarding the temp folder, it is systematically emptied by a script file
each time my system is shut down. And so is the Word ¡§Normal.dotm¡¨ file.
By the way, I don¡¦t have any ¡§Normal.dot¡¨ file. Should I have one?

----------------------------

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 14:30:20 +0200, Robert wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ed Ed is offline

Graham,

That's it! If I unregister the AVG dll Word pops up in immeasurable
time. Registering it takes me back to 15 seconds.

Now, I'll have to decide whether fast opening of Word is worth the
risk of infection. Maybe disconnect from the
Internet when I'm doing a lot of Word stuff.

Thanks!

Ed

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG7\avgoff2k.dll
unregisters the dll thus disabling it.
You can reverse the process by reregistering it ie remove the /u
switch from the command line.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ed Ed is offline

Suzanne,

I just did a Google on avgoff2k.dll. Immediately found a thread on the
issue, and one of the replies pointed
to a Grisoft FAQ that describes the trick Graham gave us. So, you're
right, it's directly related to Office.
Of course, that's what its name implies now that I thank trouble to
read it!

But, if it doesn't compromise security to turn it off, why is it there
in the first place?

Te solution works, that's for sure!

Ed

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I don't know about AVG, but disabling the Norton AntiVirus Office
Plugin doesn't compromise security at all provided that Auto-Protect
is left enabled.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

But, if it doesn't compromise security to turn it off, why is it there in
the first place?

That's what we've been asking ever since NAV first incorporated the Office
Plug-in. Even Symantec doesn't know.

"Ed" wrote in message
Suzanne,

I just did a Google on avgoff2k.dll. Immediately found a thread on the
issue, and one of the replies pointed
to a Grisoft FAQ that describes the trick Graham gave us. So, you're
right, it's directly related to Office.
Of course, that's what its name implies now that I thank trouble to read
it!

But, if it doesn't compromise security to turn it off, why is it there in
the first place?

Te solution works, that's for sure!

Ed

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I don't know about AVG, but disabling the Norton AntiVirus Office Plugin
doesn't compromise security at all provided that Auto-Protect is left
enabled.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ed Ed is offline

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
But, if it doesn't compromise security to turn it off, why is it
there in the first place?

That's what we've been asking ever since NAV first incorporated the
Office Plug-in. Even Symantec doesn't know.

Suppose I'm in Word and find a photo or something on the Web I'd like
to incorporate in my document. If the Office security plug-in
is not activated, am I not subject to a virus in that photo? Seems
like there's gotta be a reason for it, as the AV companies
have enough to do already.

Just curious.

Ed

Ed

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Ed

There's as much chance of the photo infecting you with a virus when you view
it in Internet Explorer (or whatever) as it is when you copy it into Word.
If you download the picture, then the AV will scan it anyway. As Suzanne has
stated, we have repeatedly asked Norton (Symantec) to explain what the
plug-in does in Office and they couldn't : they just didn't know.

Millions of us are happily working without an Office AV plug-in: just don't
worry about it.

Terry

"Ed" wrote in message

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
But, if it doesn't compromise security to turn it off, why is it there
in the first place?

That's what we've been asking ever since NAV first incorporated the
Office Plug-in. Even Symantec doesn't know.

Suppose I'm in Word and find a photo or something on the Web I'd like to
incorporate in my document. If the Office security plug-in
is not activated, am I not subject to a virus in that photo? Seems like
there's gotta be a reason for it, as the AV companies
have enough to do already.

Just curious.

Ed

Ed

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Hi Suzanne,

The 'hooks' are part of the MS Anti-Virus API. It's pupose is mentioned briefly in the 'Virus' section of the Office 2003 Security
White Paper at
http://office.microsoft.com/download...AM102424861033

There's a lot of tech details on MSDN, such as
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...71(VS.85).aspx

=======
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message ...

That's what we've been asking ever since NAV first incorporated the Office
Plug-in. Even Symantec doesn't know.

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Aside from the fact that the author of
http://office.microsoft.com/download...AM102424861033
doesn't know how to spell "supersede" (and either wasn't using or ignored
Word's spell check), the white paper seems to be pretty much saying that a
decent AV app can do the necessary without an Office plug-in, but it may
impact performance. If the plug-ins didn't affect usability and performance
even more negatively, this might be relevant.

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" 75214.226(At Beautiful Downtown)compuserve.com wrote
in message ...
Hi Suzanne,

The 'hooks' are part of the MS Anti-Virus API. It's pupose is mentioned
briefly in the 'Virus' section of the Office 2003 Security
White Paper at
http://office.microsoft.com/download...AM102424861033

There's a lot of tech details on MSDN, such as
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...71(VS.85).aspx

=======
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message

That's what we've been asking ever since NAV first incorporated the Office
Plug-in. Even Symantec doesn't know.

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Hi Suzanne,

Well, you asked about information on what the 'hooks' were for, so spelling is a key bit of information g. You mean you didn't
like the alternate suggestion from Spell check of
super ceded ?

The plug-in covers/covered one possible hole in the apps, and that was a timing issue between when a request went to Windows and an
antivirus check was run there and then when the 'safe' file was passed to an Office app.

At the time it was first introduced, MS wasn't 'in' the antivirus/security business, but now, with OneCare, they are, and over time
the 3rd party security products have gotten better as well, so the risk is likely smaller these days, but it's said that this can
also only make those on a path to 'break it' more determined than when it was 'easier' As the white paper points out the API is
improved in Office 2003 and it has been improved again for Office 2007 as well as for Windows and Internet Explorer versions.

Is there a greater risk without the plug-ins? Yes. Is it a big risk? Not until the first time someone exploits it on a wide
scale, or it happens to 'you' g [and of course that would only happen when on deadline].

=============
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message ...
Aside from the fact that the author of
http://office.microsoft.com/download...AM102424861033
doesn't know how to spell "supersede" (and either wasn't using or ignored
Word's spell check), the white paper seems to be pretty much saying that a decent AV app can do the necessary without an Office
plug-in, but it may
impact performance. If the plug-ins didn't affect usability and performance
even more negatively, this might be relevant.

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Hi Bob

So by implication, AVs that don't have this 'feature' (like NOD32) are
inferior to those that do?

Terry

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Hi Terry,

As different AVIs use their own methods and techniques to watch and sweep, whether the do it through an add-in reflects a design
approach decision for a particular product probably more than effectiveness of the method chosen and the particular environment.

I'm guessing that calling the API, loading, releasing, etc takes time and some of the products that used or looked at using the
hooks that are available through MS Office, IE and others may from time to time hear 'next version' when they ask for improvements
with their MS interactions in that arena