Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bxrswfe Bxrswfe is offline

Default Global Template Message Pops Up When Opening Word 2007

I just made modifications to the Normal.dotm file in Word 2007. Everything
seemed to be going well, up until I opened Word 2007 again. Now every time I
start Word, a dialogue box appears with the following message: 'The Global
template, NORMAL.DOTM, is already open as an add-in program'. My only option
is to click on 'OK' and then it disappears. Does anyone know how to get rid
of this message???
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Sounds like you have a copy of Normal.dotm (or a shortcut to it) in the Word
or Office Startup folder?

http://word.mvps.org

"Bxrswfe" wrote in message
I just made modifications to the Normal.dotm file in Word 2007. Everything
seemed to be going well, up until I opened Word 2007 again. Now every
time I
start Word, a dialogue box appears with the following message: 'The Global
template, NORMAL.DOTM, is already open as an add-in program'. My only
option
is to click on 'OK' and then it disappears. Does anyone know how to get
rid
of this message???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The path to the Word Startup folder can be found at Office Button | Word
Options | Advanced: General: File Locations. Or you can search your hard
drive for STARTUP (which will find both folders). Make sure you have search
set to search hidden and system files and folders.

http://word.mvps.org

"Bxrswfe" wrote in message
I just made modifications to the Normal.dotm file in Word 2007.
Everything
seemed to be going well, up until I opened Word 2007 again. Now every
time I
start Word, a dialogue box appears with the following message: 'The
Global
template, NORMAL.DOTM, is already open as an add-in program'. My only
option
is to click on 'OK' and then it disappears. Does anyone know how to
get
rid
of this message???

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bxrswfe Bxrswfe is offline

Suzanne,

I tried doing that. But here's my problem with that:

I went into Application Data\Microsoft\Word\Startup and the folder was
empty. So I tried Application Daa\Microsoft\Templates. I found two files
under that folder: 1) Normal.dotm and 2) NormalEmail.dotm. I tried deleting
the second file because I really don't know why I need that, but the computer
will not allow me to. An 'Error Deleting File' message pops up stating "It
is being used by another person or program. Close any program that might be
using the file and try again." This is strange because Word is not even open
at the time.

Then I tried doing a 'Search' on my C drive for any files or folders with
the word 'Startup' in it (thinking that maybe I had the wrong one before).
No luck there either. I also tried the other option you suggested about
going into the Word button/Word Options...it will not allow me to do anything
with the files either.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thank you!!!

"Bxrswfe" wrote in message
I just made modifications to the Normal.dotm file in Word 2007.
Everything
seemed to be going well, up until I opened Word 2007 again. Now every
time I
start Word, a dialogue box appears with the following message: 'The
Global
template, NORMAL.DOTM, is already open as an add-in program'. My only
option
is to click on 'OK' and then it disappears. Does anyone know how to
get
rid
of this message???

.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The files you found in the Templates folder belong there. It is only if you
found them (or shortcuts to them) in a Startup folder that they would cause
problems. But you don't say whether you have checked the Office Startup
folder.

http://word.mvps.org