Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sue Sue is offline

Default Complex Appendices: Formatting Page Numbers & TOC

I have a large document with 15 sections. Each section has it's own TOC with
Roman numeral page #s (1-i, 1-ii, 1-iii, etc.) and body of text with Arabic
numeral page #s (1-1, 1-2, 1-3, etc.). No problem there.

I am being asked to add special page #s to appendices for each section
(1-A-1, 1-A-2, 1-A-3...) and some appendices have sub-sections (1-C1-1,
1-C1-2, 1-C1-3; 1-C2-1, 1-C2-2, 1-C2-3...). This is causing me problems:
1. I can't seem to format my appendix pagination to automate it in any way
for my appendices.
2. I keep having to deselect Link to Previous in my footers and manually
type in all page numbers for my appendices to make them look correct.
3. When I finally get my page numbers to look correct for a section, the TOC
for that section does not show the correct page #s for the appendices. The
closest it ever gets reflects A-1, B-1, C-1 (should read 1-A-1, 1-B-1, 1-C-1)
and shows my appended subsections as D-1, E-1, F-1€¦ (should read 1-C1-1,
1-C2-1, 1-C3-1€¦)

Ive already walked through several MS tutorials, but only got partial
answers. The most helpful and pertinent to my situation:
Add an appendix to your document
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...CL100636481033

If anyone can help me out with this I would be most grateful!!

--
Sue

PS - If it helps to know, my working files are separate files for each whole
section so that I have 15 separate files each with TOC, body of text and
funky appendices (as opposed to one mammoth messy doc containing everything).
I have separate files for the cover, title page, section TOC (reflecting only
section numbers), etc.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Although you can simply type in extra numbers next to the page number in the
header or footer, those numbers won't be reflected in the TOC, as you have
noticed.

In Word, your options for creating chapter/page numbering are limited to
what is explained in the following article:
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/numbering/chapternumber.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Sue" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sue Sue is offline

Hi Stefan - Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, the settings available in Word
were not reflecting the page #s properly for the appendices nor would it
allow me to specify indentations on the TOC the way my boss really wanted to
show clear delineation between the main body of text and appendices.

I ultimately realized that since all my appendices would start on their own
first page I didnt really need to set up headings that would link back to
the TOC, but manually typing in all the headings, periods and page #s was
creating a jagged edge on one side and it made the whole TOC look kind of
junky. I actually wound up using separate tables for my appendices so that my
headings and page #s would not only properly justify on both sides but I
could indent them exactly the way my boss wanted to see them.

I wish I could show a sample image of my solution with paragraph €˜Show/Hide
on and table borders visible so others could see how I did this. In case MS
wants to include a tutorial for this work-around, please note that I adjusted
the table margins to force the proximity of periods and page#s to match the
TOC €˜prime. I couldnt get rid of the paragraph separating the TOC from my
table so I changed it to a tiny font size to close the space in-between. I
also turned off the AutoCorrect for the periods to avoid showing series of
unwanted ellipses.

--
Sue

"Sue" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you are creating the TOC manually, you need to use a right-aligned tab
stop (for the page number) with a period leader. See
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/NumberAlignment.htm (Word 2003 and
earlier) or http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/N...gnment2007.htm, as
appropriate. You should not be typing the periods by hand.

http://word.mvps.org