Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
J.M.D.

Default Printing redline with comments but not markup list

I'm using Word 2002 and and trying to get a printed redline version that
shows all the tracked changes in the text and prints the comments, but that
doesn't print the markup list of all the changes. (I'm often printing heavily
edited four- or five-page documents that I always have to print 20+ pages
listing all the changes just to get the markup and comments.) I've tried
fiddling around with turning balloons on and off and printing from different
views, and so far I've been able to get a redline version without the markup
list, but then I can't get seem to get the comments. I'm fine with the
comments printing as balloons or separately at the end of the document as
long as I can avoid the markup list. Is there a way to do this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

First, if you're cautious, make a backup copy of the document.

On the reviewing toolbar, click the down arrow next to the Accept
Changes button and click Accept All Changes. This doesn't affect the
comments. Print the document. Then click the Undo button, or close the
document without saving, to regain the changes.

If you forget and save while the changes are gone, restore from your
backup copy.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Tue, 9 May 2006 11:59:03 -0700, J.M.D.
wrote:

I'm using Word 2002 and and trying to get a printed redline version that
shows all the tracked changes in the text and prints the comments, but that
doesn't print the markup list of all the changes. (I'm often printing heavily
edited four- or five-page documents that I always have to print 20+ pages
listing all the changes just to get the markup and comments.) I've tried
fiddling around with turning balloons on and off and printing from different
views, and so far I've been able to get a redline version without the markup
list, but then I can't get seem to get the comments. I'm fine with the
comments printing as balloons or separately at the end of the document as
long as I can avoid the markup list. Is there a way to do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
J.M.D.

Hi Jay,

Thanks for the response. Am I correct that the only way to print the
comments after accepting the changes is with the balloons (i.e., after
accepting the changes and printing, I'll end up with one redline version of
the document without the comments, followed by the clean changes-accepted
copy with the balloon comments), or am I missing something?

From reading around a little more, it looks like quite a few people are
trying to accomplish similar things, and the problem seems to be that Word
has just integrated track changes and comments far too much, which works fine
if you just have a few changes and some comments but quickly becomes
unmanageable with a lot of changes.

J.M.D.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

On Wed, 10 May 2006 10:01:02 -0700, J.M.D.
wrote:

Hi Jay,

Thanks for the response. Am I correct that the only way to print the
comments after accepting the changes is with the balloons (i.e., after
accepting the changes and printing, I'll end up with one redline version of
the document without the comments, followed by the clean changes-accepted
copy with the balloon comments), or am I missing something?

If you have balloons enabled and the "Print what" box in the Print
dialog is set to "Document showing markup", the comments will print
just as they appear on screen in "Final showing markup" view -- the
text page will be reduced to allow a wide margin for the balloons.

If balloons are disabled and the "Print what" box in the Print dialog
is set to "Document showing markup", only the highlighting and tags of
the comments will print. Then you need to print again with the "Print
what" box set to "List of markup" to print the bodies of the comments.
I don't see a way to do this in one print job, but this isn't an area
I'm very familiar with. A macro could be created to run both print
jobs with one click.

I don't believe there's any way to print only a list of the comments
without accepting the changes.

From reading around a little more, it looks like quite a few people are
trying to accomplish similar things, and the problem seems to be that Word
has just integrated track changes and comments far too much, which works fine
if you just have a few changes and some comments but quickly becomes
unmanageable with a lot of changes.

Yes, I think you're correct.