Monica

Default Address book Backup

In Word 2000, I have about 200 addresses that I use for envelopes. I
transfered to a new computer and I cannot get a backup of this address list.
What am I doing wrong? What appears when I backup and install on my new
computer is my OE Adress book. OE is my default mail. Thank you so much for
any help you can give me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

Word can use a variety of address books. Without knowing which, it is
difficult to advise on how to back it up. Word prefers to use the Outlook
contacts list - which is saved as part of the PST file. So where do you save
those addresses?

Monica wrote:
In Word 2000, I have about 200 addresses that I use for envelopes. I
transfered to a new computer and I cannot get a backup of this
address list. What am I doing wrong? What appears when I backup and
install on my new computer is my OE Adress book. OE is my default
mail. Thank you so much for any help you can give me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Monica

Graham
I have a file in Word called "Envelopes". I open the file - which is just a
Word file and I click on "Tools", "Envelopes" and than I click on the icon
(which is a picture of a open book" and my addresses are all listed in there.
It's the address book that is usually used in Office 2000. I'm sorry, that's
all I know. Does it answer your question? Thanks,
Monica

"Monica" wrote:

In Word 2000, I have about 200 addresses that I use for envelopes. I
transfered to a new computer and I cannot get a backup of this address list.
What am I doing wrong? What appears when I backup and install on my new
computer is my OE Adress book. OE is my default mail. Thank you so much for
any help you can give me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

We are getting closer
When you want to enter a new address into the list, what do you do in order
to do that?
The 'open book' icon calls what is known as a MAPI compliant address book.
This is normally the Outlook contacts list address book interface. If that
is indeed the case, you need to open Outlook then File data file
management and ascertain the name of your personal folders file - it will
probably be called Personal Folders.PST or maybe Outlook.PST. Copy this file
and import it to Outlook on your new PC.

"Monica" wrote:

In Word 2000, I have about 200 addresses that I use for envelopes. I
transfered to a new computer and I cannot get a backup of this
address list. What am I doing wrong? What appears when I backup and
install on my new computer is my OE Adress book. OE is my default
mail. Thank you so much for any help you can give me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Monica

In Outlook, I do not have a File - Data File Management selection. All I
noticed is under Envelopes & Labels & than I open the book icon - there is a
selection on the top- Show Names From the: mine is called "Contacts". Under
Internet Options, Program Tab, My Contact List is: Microsoft Outlook. Does
this help at all? So from what I can determine - Address Book is my e-mail
address list and Contacts is my envelope address list. Am I making sense yet?
I usually understand computers & their problems very good - but this really
has me stumped! Thanks
Monica

"Monica" wrote:

In Word 2000, I have about 200 addresses that I use for envelopes. I
transfered to a new computer and I cannot get a backup of this
address list. What am I doing wrong? What appears when I backup and
install on my new computer is my OE Adress book. OE is my default
mail. Thank you so much for any help you can give me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
gordo

Use the Export feature of Outlook (FileImport and ExportExport to a file).
Then Import on your new computer (FileImport and ExportImport from another
file).

Gordo

"Monica" wrote:

In Word 2000, I have about 200 addresses that I use for envelopes. I
transfered to a new computer and I cannot get a backup of this
address list. What am I doing wrong? What appears when I backup and
install on my new computer is my OE Adress book. OE is my default
mail. Thank you so much for any help you can give me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

I guess you are using an older version of Outlook? Try tools options
mail setup data files and locate it there. I am pretty sure the older
versions of Outlook had that route. Unfortunately I cannot tell you where to
look because I use a non-standard location for my Outlook data for ease of
backup.

The method suggested by Gordo will also work and is probably simpler -
export the contacts list to a PST format file, which will make import
simpler.

Monica wrote:
In Outlook, I do not have a File - Data File Management selection.
All I noticed is under Envelopes & Labels & than I open the book icon
- there is a selection on the top- Show Names From the: mine is
called "Contacts". Under Internet Options, Program Tab, My Contact
List is: Microsoft Outlook. Does this help at all? So from what I can

"Monica" wrote:

In Word 2000, I have about 200 addresses that I use for envelopes.
I transfered to a new computer and I cannot get a backup of this
address list. What am I doing wrong? What appears when I backup and
install on my new computer is my OE Adress book. OE is my default
mail. Thank you so much for any help you can give me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Monica

Gordo
The export feature worked fine - thank you for the advice. But now when I
open outlook express to send e-mail - I have about 200 names and addresses
that have ended up in there along with my usual e-mail address book. So, how
do I separate them?? They show up under "Contacts". My Microsoft Word
envelope address listing worked out perfect - now I have to straighten out my
e-mail address book. Thanks,
Monica

"Monica" wrote:

In Word 2000, I have about 200 addresses that I use for envelopes. I
transfered to a new computer and I cannot get a backup of this
address list. What am I doing wrong? What appears when I backup and
install on my new computer is my OE Adress book. OE is my default
mail. Thank you so much for any help you can give me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Monica

Graham
I just told Gordo everything worked great with export feature. Now my e-mail
address has 200 plus addresses in it - how do I separate them?? In outlook
Express

Monica wrote:
In Outlook, I do not have a File - Data File Management selection.
All I noticed is under Envelopes & Labels & than I open the book icon
- there is a selection on the top- Show Names From the: mine is
called "Contacts". Under Internet Options, Program Tab, My Contact
List is: Microsoft Outlook. Does this help at all? So from what I can

"Monica" wrote:

In Word 2000, I have about 200 addresses that I use for envelopes.
I transfered to a new computer and I cannot get a backup of this
address list. What am I doing wrong? What appears when I backup and
install on my new computer is my OE Adress book. OE is my default
mail. Thank you so much for any help you can give me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]

Hi Monica:

You assign them a "Category" then create a view of your address book that
does "Not" show that category.

Assuming that you are using Outlook, and not Outlook Express, you can create
multiple address books, and you could have one in a separate .PST file if
you wanted to do so. So you could choose whether or not to open the address
book that contains the imported addresses.

Look up "Address Books" in the Outlook Help to see how to do this.

Hope this helps

On 18/11/05 12:11 PM, in article
, "Monica"

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

I guess you are using an older version of Outlook? Try tools options
mail setup data files and locate it there. I am pretty sure the older
versions of Outlook had that route. Unfortunately I cannot tell you where to
look because I use a non-standard location for my Outlook data for ease of
backup.

The method suggested by Gordo will also work and is probably simpler -
export the contacts list to a PST format file, which will make import
simpler.

My web site
www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org

Monica wrote:
In Outlook, I do not have a File - Data File Management selection.
All I noticed is under Envelopes & Labels & than I open the book icon
- there is a selection on the top- Show Names From the: mine is
called "Contacts". Under Internet Options, Program Tab, My Contact
List is: Microsoft Outlook. Does this help at all? So from what I can

"Monica" wrote:

In Word 2000, I have about 200 addresses that I use for envelopes.
I transfered to a new computer and I cannot get a backup of this
address list. What am I doing wrong? What appears when I backup and
install on my new computer is my OE Adress book. OE is my default
mail. Thank you so much for any help you can give me.

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Monica

John
I use Outlook Express for my mail and I have Windows 98 - I also am using
Word 2000. So in which program (Outlook Express or Word) do I assign them a
Category?
Thanks, Monica

Monica wrote:
In Outlook, I do not have a File - Data File Management selection.
All I noticed is under Envelopes & Labels & than I open the book icon
- there is a selection on the top- Show Names From the: mine is
called "Contacts". Under Internet Options, Program Tab, My Contact
List is: Microsoft Outlook. Does this help at all? So from what I can

"Monica" wrote:

In Word 2000, I have about 200 addresses that I use for envelopes.
I transfered to a new computer and I cannot get a backup of this
address list. What am I doing wrong? What appears when I backup and
install on my new computer is my OE Adress book. OE is my default
mail. Thank you so much for any help you can give me.

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Monica

John, Gordo and Graham,
I finally got my address book straight! John had a good suggestion of
assigning them a "Category". I also had to install the address book section
in Word again, as I don't believe it was installed originally or working
properly. Thanks guys for all the help, I really appreciate it a lot!

Monica wrote:
In Outlook, I do not have a File - Data File Management selection.
All I noticed is under Envelopes & Labels & than I open the book icon
- there is a selection on the top- Show Names From the: mine is
called "Contacts". Under Internet Options, Program Tab, My Contact
List is: Microsoft Outlook. Does this help at all? So from what I can

"Monica" wrote:

In Word 2000, I have about 200 addresses that I use for envelopes.
I transfered to a new computer and I cannot get a backup of this
address list. What am I doing wrong? What appears when I backup and
install on my new computer is my OE Adress book. OE is my default
mail. Thank you so much for any help you can give me.

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

How do I change the default address book in Word? Chuck Look Microsoft Word Help 0 September 1st 05 06:36 PM
Address Book Judy Microsoft Word Help 0 June 16th 05 10:10 PM
Insert Address from Address Book AAS Microsoft Word Help 2 May 26th 05 04:36 PM
Address Book no show Ross Moody New Users 2 January 16th 05 08:49 PM
Requirement for address book contact for addressing an envelope? ajsandbergjr Microsoft Word Help 5 December 11th 04 11:53 PM