Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Islay Trainer[_2_] Islay Trainer[_2_] is offline

Default Word 2007 - Modify Style - 'New documents based on this template'

I am creating some templates in Word 2007 which use customised Heading 1 and
Heading 2 styles. I find that new documents created using the templates lose
some of the formatting set for these styles in the original template. I have
tried to set the option 'New documents based on this template' in the Modify
Style dialogue box but it always reverts back to 'Only in this document'. Any
ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Summer Summer is offline

Are saving as a Word Template file. And then using File New to create a
document from the template?

"Islay Trainer" wrote in message
news
I am creating some templates in Word 2007 which use customised Heading 1
and
Heading 2 styles. I find that new documents created using the templates
lose
some of the formatting set for these styles in the original template. I
have
tried to set the option 'New documents based on this template' in the
Modify
Style dialogue box but it always reverts back to 'Only in this document'.
Any
ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Islay Trainer[_2_] Islay Trainer[_2_] is offline

Default Word 2007 - Modify Style - 'New documents based on this templa

Yes, I am using File, New then selecting the template I have created with the
styles.

"Summer" wrote:

Are saving as a Word Template file. And then using File New to create a
document from the template?

"Islay Trainer" wrote in message
news
I am creating some templates in Word 2007 which use customised Heading 1
and
Heading 2 styles. I find that new documents created using the templates
lose
some of the formatting set for these styles in the original template. I
have
tried to set the option 'New documents based on this template' in the
Modify
Style dialogue box but it always reverts back to 'Only in this document'.
Any
ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Aeneas Aeneas is offline

Were you trying to change the outline levels of Heading 1 and Heading 2? Even
though it appears as if you can change these levels when editing the styles
in the template, you cannot. They are hard-coded.

"Islay Trainer" wrote:

I am creating some templates in Word 2007 which use customised Heading 1 and
Heading 2 styles. I find that new documents created using the templates lose
some of the formatting set for these styles in the original template. I have
tried to set the option 'New documents based on this template' in the Modify
Style dialogue box but it always reverts back to 'Only in this document'. Any
ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Islay Trainer[_2_] Islay Trainer[_2_] is offline

Many thanks for this. Yes, it was Heading 1 and Heading 2 I was trying to
customise. I will think of a different approach for the template.

"Islay Trainer" wrote:

I am creating some templates in Word 2007 which use customised Heading 1 and
Heading 2 styles. I find that new documents created using the templates lose
some of the formatting set for these styles in the original template. I have
tried to set the option 'New documents based on this template' in the Modify
Style dialogue box but it always reverts back to 'Only in this document'. Any
ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

And note that if you were trying to change the outline level for TOC
purposes, you can map any outline level to any TOC level in the TOC Options
(or whatever the 2007 equivalent is). If it's for outline numbering, you can
demote the headings to lower outline levels for that, too, for example using
Title for Level 1, Heading 1 for Level 2, etc., but it is usually more
efficient to just use the heading levels as they're intended.