Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
K Plank K Plank is offline

Default Two Columns, text runs to next page

This should be easy but I'm missing something somewhere. I am creating a
procedure consisting of two unequal columns. On the left, I type a Step
name. In the right column, I type all of the info related to the step. When
I finish, I want to type a new step name in the lefthand column below the
prior step and more step-related info in the right column.

How do I:
1) keep the step name in the lefthand column aligned w/the start of the
text in the righthand column?
2) keep right hand text from flowing into the lefthand column when I've
filled a page with text?
I'm using the column break in the lefthand column but things are still
getting screwed up.
THANKS TO THOSE WHO CAN HELP!

--
K Plank
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

"Columns" in Word pertains to newspaper style columns that snake fro top to
bottom, left to right. For what you want to do that isn't the proper
approach. What you need is a 2 column Table where content can be entered
into the 2 columns on a row-by-row basis. Although this doesn't appear to
have yet been updated for Word 2007 the fundamentals pertain:

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/TableBasics.htm

If you're using Word 2007 [please always specify] you'll find additional
information specific to it along with a good deal more in Word Help on
Tables. Go here after reviewing the above:

http://office.microsoft.com/client/helppreview.aspx?AssetID=HA100343001033&QueryID=Tp MFWDRk30&respos=12&rt=2&ns=WINWORD&lcid=1033&pid=C H101732061033

--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

"K Plank" .(donotspam) wrote in message
This should be easy but I'm missing something somewhere. I am creating a
procedure consisting of two unequal columns. On the left, I type a Step
name. In the right column, I type all of the info related to the step.
When
I finish, I want to type a new step name in the lefthand column below the
prior step and more step-related info in the right column.

How do I:
1) keep the step name in the lefthand column aligned w/the start of the
text in the righthand column?
2) keep right hand text from flowing into the lefthand column when I've
filled a page with text?
I'm using the column break in the lefthand column but things are still
getting screwed up.
THANKS TO THOSE WHO CAN HELP!

--
K Plank

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
K Plank K Plank is offline

Thanks CyberTaz. It never dawned on me to use a table -- this will help
immensely. By the way, sorry about not specifying which version of Office
I'm using. It's 2007.
--
K Plank

"CyberTaz" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

No Problem - glad to help... but just keep in mind that the Subject line is
intended & sized to convey an "attention getter" only. All pertinent details
should go into the body of the message -- that's why the box is bigger ;-)

--

"CyberTaz" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Yeah, Table Basics is one of the "difficult" articles I'm saving for last
(and until our Webmaster can get back into his exploded apartment and
retrieve his computer, there's no particular rush).

http://word.mvps.org