Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
William William is offline

Default Is there any way to hide folders with the "_files" extension?

Not sure what they are or why they are there, but the folders with the
"_files" extension really clutter things up and make it difficult to find the
files I am looking for. Any way to hide those, or some other method so that
I don't have to look at these?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

They are the files associated with documents saved as web pages. Save your
web pages in a separate folder from your Word documents and avoid the
clutter.

"WillIAm" wrote in message
news
Not sure what they are or why they are there, but the folders with the
"_files" extension really clutter things up and make it difficult to find
the
files I am looking for. Any way to hide those, or some other method so
that
I don't have to look at these?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Those folders are created when you save as a Web page a document containing
graphics. The graphics are saved separately in that folder.

http://word.mvps.org

"WillIAm" wrote in message
news
Not sure what they are or why they are there, but the folders with the
"_files" extension really clutter things up and make it difficult to find
the
files I am looking for. Any way to hide those, or some other method so
that
I don't have to look at these?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Yves Dhondt Yves Dhondt is offline

Not really a Word thing (I'm guessing it's an OS feature): one thing special
about these folders is that if you delete the htm file in Windows, the
folder gets automatically deleted as well. Any idea on how they do that? I'm
guessing it must be some kind of linking as it would seem odd to me that the
simple delete command would investigate your files. So I'm wondering if you
somehow know how Word does set up those links.

Yves

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
They are the files associated with documents saved as web pages. Save your
web pages in a separate folder from your Word documents and avoid the
clutter.

"WillIAm" wrote in message
news
Not sure what they are or why they are there, but the folders with the
"_files" extension really clutter things up and make it difficult to find
the
files I am looking for. Any way to hide those, or some other method so
that
I don't have to look at these?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

FWIW, there's a setting in Word 2003 and earlier at Tools | Options |
General | Web Options | Files to "Organize supporting files in a folder." I
imagine that clearing this check box would result in the files being stored
in the same folder with the Web page (which would eliminate the _files), but
it would certainly clutter up that folder! In any case, my guess is that
Word and Windows have some "secret handshake" by which the Web page file and
supporting folder are linked.

http://word.mvps.org

"Yves Dhondt" wrote in message
Not really a Word thing (I'm guessing it's an OS feature): one thing
special about these folders is that if you delete the htm file in Windows,
the folder gets automatically deleted as well. Any idea on how they do
that? I'm guessing it must be some kind of linking as it would seem odd to
me that the simple delete command would investigate your files. So I'm
wondering if you somehow know how Word does set up those links.

Yves

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
They are the files associated with documents saved as web pages. Save
your web pages in a separate folder from your Word documents and avoid
the clutter.

"WillIAm" wrote in message
news
Not sure what they are or why they are there, but the folders with the
"_files" extension really clutter things up and make it difficult to
find the
files I am looking for. Any way to hide those, or some other method so
that
I don't have to look at these?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

my guess is that Word and Windows have some "secret handshake"

It's nothing really to do with Word - Windows has a feature that connects
these files and folders. I think it was originally meant to be more generic,
but only ever got implemented for web pages. .htm (or .html) files are
connected to similarly named _files folders by default, but this can be
switched off in the registry (...\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\
NoFileFolderConnection). One point to watch is that it is
language-sensitive, so in Dutch, say, it would be a _bestanden folder.

The answer to the original question, of course, is that there isn't really
much you can do except not save so many complete web pages, and use browser
bookmarks/favourites instead - that way you won't have any of the clutter.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

www.WordArticles.com

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
[...]

"WillIAm" wrote in message
news Not sure what they are or why they are there, but the folders with the
"_files" extension really clutter things up and make it difficult to
find the
files I am looking for. Any way to hide those, or some other method so
that
I don't have to look at these?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

That would do it too.

I note that the OP says nothing about Word, so these web pages could be
being saved by any one of several means (including bespoke software).

--

"WillIAm" wrote in message
news Not sure what they are or why they are there, but the folders with
the
"_files" extension really clutter things up and make it difficult to
find the
files I am looking for. Any way to hide those, or some other method
so that
I don't have to look at these?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
oli ver oli ver is offline

Default xyplorer and probably others

My answer is not exactly a microsoft one, so I don't know if it is appropriate.

You can set a visual filter -and an anti-visual filter- in xyplorer (wich runs on microsoft OS from 98 to 7).

It does the trick. U have to set this for each tab you open, but not when you restart the app.
I'm not an xyplorer advanced user, so it might be possible to configure this for all new tab. Or not.

Hope this helps.

Tony Jollans wrote:

That would do it too.
08-Mar-10

That would do it too.

I note that the OP says nothing about Word, so these web pages could be
being saved by any one of several means (including bespoke software).

--
Enjoy,
Tony

www.WordArticles.com

On Monday, March 08, 2010 10:04 AM
WillIAm wrote:

Is there any way to hide folders with the "_files" extension?
Not sure what they are or why they are there, but the folders with the
"_files" extension really clutter things up and make it difficult to find the
files I am looking for. Any way to hide those, or some other method so that
I do not have to look at these?

On Monday, March 08, 2010 10:32 AM
Graham Mayor wrote:

They are the files associated with documents saved as web pages.
They are the files associated with documents saved as web pages. Save your
web pages in a separate folder from your Word documents and avoid the
clutter.

On Monday, March 08, 2010 10:39 AM
Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:

Those folders are created when you save as a Web page a document
Those folders are created when you save as a Web page a document containing
graphics. The graphics are saved separately in that folder.

http://word.mvps.org

On Monday, March 08, 2010 11:53 AM
Yves Dhondt wrote:

Not really a Word thing (I am guessing it is an OS feature): one thing
Not really a Word thing (I am guessing it is an OS feature): one thing special
about these folders is that if you delete the htm file in Windows, the
folder gets automatically deleted as well. Any idea on how they do that? I am
guessing it must be some kind of linking as it would seem odd to me that the
simple delete command would investigate your files. So I am wondering if you
somehow know how Word does set up those links.

Yves

On Monday, March 08, 2010 12:53 PM
Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:

FWIW, there is a setting in Word 2003 and earlier at Tools | Options |General
FWIW, there is a setting in Word 2003 and earlier at Tools | Options |
General | Web Options | Files to "Organize supporting files in a folder." I
imagine that clearing this check box would result in the files being stored
in the same folder with the Web page (which would eliminate the _files), but
it would certainly clutter up that folder! In any case, my guess is that
Word and Windows have some "secret handshake" by which the Web page file and
supporting folder are linked.

http://word.mvps.org

On Monday, March 08, 2010 2:05 PM
Tony Jollans wrote:

it is nothing really to do with Word - Windows has a feature that
it is nothing really to do with Word - Windows has a feature that connects
these files and folders. I think it was originally meant to be more generic,
but only ever got implemented for web pages. .htm (or .html) files are
connected to similarly named _files folders by default, but this can be
switched off in the registry (...\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\
NoFileFolderConnection). One point to watch is that it is
language-sensitive, so in Dutch, say, it would be a _bestanden folder.

The answer to the original question, of course, is that there is not really
much you can do except not save so many complete web pages, and use browser
bookmarks/favourites instead - that way you will not have any of the clutter.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

www.WordArticles.com

On Monday, March 08, 2010 3:16 PM
Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:

I imagine the problem can be avoided by using single-file Web pages (*.mht)?
I imagine the problem can be avoided by using single-file Web pages (*.mht)?

http://word.mvps.org

"Tony Jollans" My forename at my surname dot com wrote in message

On Monday, March 08, 2010 4:05 PM
Tony Jollans wrote:

That would do it too.
That would do it too.

I note that the OP says nothing about Word, so these web pages could be
being saved by any one of several means (including bespoke software).

--
Enjoy,
Tony

www.WordArticles.com

WPF Report Engine, Part 4
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...ne-part-4.aspx

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
oli ver oli ver is offline

Default a little moderation

To moderate my previous message, I'll add that it does the trick inside the pane(s), but not within the tree.
Or I don't know how to do this.

oli ver wrote:

xyplorer and probably others
20-Apr-10

My answer is not exactly a microsoft one, so I don't know if it is appropriate.

You can set a visual filter -and an anti-visual filter- in xyplorer (wich runs on microsoft OS from 98 to 7).

It does the trick. U have to set this for each tab you open, but not when you restart the app.
I'm not an xyplorer advanced user, so it might be possible to configure this for all new tab. Or not.

Hope this helps.

Crypto Obfuscator for .NET - Product Review
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...or-for-ne.aspx