GR

Default Office Update SP2

Gentlemen,
It is unseemly for you experts to "talk down" to Bill. He might have a
problem hoped to get help, not a dressing down. To put the situation into
perspective:

Whether or not you all know it, something odd is going on with Office 2003
SP2. I installed it via MU's "Custom" option shortly after it was released
to MU. At that time, MU indicated the installation was "successful." Then,
the middle of this past week, I again visited MU and was advised SP2 was
available. Again, I installed it with the "Custom" option and, unlike Bill,
MU indicated the installation was "successful." I don't have a problem with
SP2, just curious about what is going on.
GR

"ANONYMOUS" wrote in message

Bill,

Your best bet is to post your specific query on this newsgroup so that
some of us can help you out. In my opinion, it is futile to read about
people's problems and worry about it rather than addressing the issues.

Have you got any specific problems you want us to help you out?

In your other message you say: "Why is it then that the original SP2
downloaded and installed OK but the revised SP2 either didn't download
or caused problems on install?" Firstly, what original SP2 you are
talking about? Is it the beta version? SP2 (final) was released on:
09/27/2005 (or 27/09/2005 in UK date format) and for most the
installation went smoothly. Did you download the full version from this
website:

Sometimes, if the connection is dodgy, autoupdate may complicate the
matters. It is a good idea to download the entire package (50Mb or 104
MB) and then to update the system with it.

HTH

Bill Ridgeway wrote:

The latest Office update (SP2) seems to have caused a lot of problems and
queries -

It was, seemingly, a repeat of SP2 issued very recently
Some have been unable to download it (are they the lucky ones?)
Some have been unable to install it
Some have incurred problem having installed it

Despite numerous posts from several people to several NewsGroups the only
response from Microsoft (as I have seen) is to the effect that "we're
looking into it".

I would like to invite Microsoft to come clean and give us, its users and
its customers, an explanation of what is happening.

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

I don't think anyone is talking down to anyone. In fact, I think ANONYMOUS
presented a very helpful answer, plus follow-up questions..

There are known issues with the SP2 download (one reason I'm waiting to get
it on TechNet myself). What some of the previous posters suggested is that
"it didn't work" is never a very good problem description. If someone
presents specific information about an error (including the exact text of
any error message), it is much easier to troubleshoot.

Bill Ridgeway wrote:

The latest Office update (SP2) seems to have caused a lot of problems

and
queries -

It was, seemingly, a repeat of SP2 issued very recently
Some have been unable to download it (are they the lucky ones?)
Some have been unable to install it
Some have incurred problem having installed it

Despite numerous posts from several people to several NewsGroups the

only
response from Microsoft (as I have seen) is to the effect that "we're
looking into it".

I would like to invite Microsoft to come clean and give us, its users

and
its customers, an explanation of what is happening.

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

Bill Ridgeway

Thanks GR!!

Thanks also to all the other responses to my query. It would seem that this
saga was due to MS making a slight error in not synchronising MU and WU.
However, it seems that this has been corrected. (No! I don't intend this to
be a catalyst for more MS bashing).

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

Office Update SP2 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] New Users 0 October 23rd 05 06:48 PM
Office 2000 core update SF New Users 1 May 15th 05 06:26 AM
Can I update Word 2000 without having Office? Cindy Microsoft Word Help 1 May 12th 05 06:12 AM
Unable to update Word 2000 SR-1 using Office 2000 SP-3 Barry Brune Microsoft Word Help 0 February 7th 05 08:51 PM
Can I update from Office 2000 to 2003? CoreyH Microsoft Word Help 2 January 19th 05 05:53 PM