Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Paul

Default How do I calculate square roots in a Word 2000 table?

The Carat symbol is suposed to be used for roots and powers and using it to
get squares is not a problem 9^2 = 81 but what is the format for square root?
I am using Wood 2000 and I am taking input from one table and using it to
calculate values for a printed table. I was having little difficulty until I
tried to produce the square root of a number fo a calculation. I have tried
the help, the assistant and looked through all of the help in "Tables" and
"Programming" for Word here. I can't believe that this can be so difficult. I
am sure that I am overlooking something relatively easy because it is listed
in the mathmatical and relational operators but there is no description of
the syntax for its use.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Jezebel

Word's arithmetic abilities are *extremely* limited. Use Table Formula to
see the list of functions available. Neither roots nor powers are there. You
appear to be confusing the *symbols* that Word provides (as graphic
elements) and the mathematical functions that use those symbols. If you need
to do any real maths -- and it sounds like you do -- embed an Excel
worksheet.

"Paul" wrote in message
The Carat symbol is suposed to be used for roots and powers and using it
get squares is not a problem 9^2 = 81 but what is the format for square
root?
I am using Wood 2000 and I am taking input from one table and using it to
calculate values for a printed table. I was having little difficulty until
tried to produce the square root of a number fo a calculation. I have
tried
the help, the assistant and looked through all of the help in "Tables" and
"Programming" for Word here. I can't believe that this can be so
difficult. I
am sure that I am overlooking something relatively easy because it is
listed
in the mathmatical and relational operators but there is no description of
the syntax for its use.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Jay Freedman

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 13:56:27 -0800, "Paul"
wrote:

The Carat symbol is suposed to be used for roots and powers and using it to
get squares is not a problem 9^2 = 81 but what is the format for square root?
I am using Wood 2000 and I am taking input from one table and using it to
calculate values for a printed table. I was having little difficulty until I
tried to produce the square root of a number fo a calculation. I have tried
the help, the assistant and looked through all of the help in "Tables" and
"Programming" for Word here. I can't believe that this can be so difficult. I
am sure that I am overlooking something relatively easy because it is listed
in the mathmatical and relational operators but there is no description of
the syntax for its use.

It helps to know that taking a square root is the same as raising the
number to the 1/2 power. So to calculate the square root of 9 in a
formula field, write {= 9^0.5} and you'll get 3.

You're right that the help on formulas is a bit sparse. What there is
in the Help is in the topic "Field codes: = (Formula) field".

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod

Hi Paul,

Roots are no more difficult than other powers. A square root is simply n^1/2
(or n^0.5), whilst a cube root is n^1/3, and so on. For more information on
this and a wide range of other calculations in Word, check out my Word Field
Maths 'tutorial', at:
http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/show...?Number=365442

Cheers

"Paul" wrote in message
The Carat symbol is suposed to be used for roots and powers and using it

get squares is not a problem 9^2 = 81 but what is the format for square

root?
I am using Wood 2000 and I am taking input from one table and using it to
calculate values for a printed table. I was having little difficulty until

tried to produce the square root of a number fo a calculation. I have

tried
the help, the assistant and looked through all of the help in "Tables" and
"Programming" for Word here. I can't believe that this can be so

difficult. I
am sure that I am overlooking something relatively easy because it is

listed
in the mathmatical and relational operators but there is no description of
the syntax for its use.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Paul

Thank you Jay,
I knew I was just not thinking about it right. You have been a big help and
it does, of course, work as it should.
Paul

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Paul

Macropod,
I have saved the bookmark to your "tutorial" so that I can look at it in the
future if needed. In this project I have got it completed and it works very
well - thank you for your assistance.
Paul