Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
edwin carter edwin carter is offline

Default word 2007 will not work properly with nuance pdf converter 4

I installed pdf converter 4 and had to upgrade to 4.1 (vista compatable) I
have xp on my computer. when I open the sample pdf doc only a few of the
pictures show up. The others show up as black boxes. Their website says that
the problem is the way 2007 handles graphic compression. They also say that
Microsoft is working on a patch or fix. I can find no reference anywhere on
MS websites about the problem. Word 2003 works great. Seems like the step up
to 2007 may be a step backward. Does any one have a fix? I like 2007.
--
wa4yhl
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules[_2_] JoAnn Paules[_2_] is offline

Your question would probably be best asked in a group for that pdf program.
And just because the program is Vista compatible, doesn't mean it's Office
2007 compatible.

--

JoAnn Paules
Microsoft MVP - Publisher

How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

"edwin carter" wrote in message
news
I installed pdf converter 4 and had to upgrade to 4.1 (vista compatable) I
have xp on my computer. when I open the sample pdf doc only a few of the
pictures show up. The others show up as black boxes. Their website says
that
the problem is the way 2007 handles graphic compression. They also say
that
Microsoft is working on a patch or fix. I can find no reference anywhere
on
MS websites about the problem. Word 2003 works great. Seems like the step
up
to 2007 may be a step backward. Does any one have a fix? I like 2007.
--
wa4yhl

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
edwin carter edwin carter is offline

But they said Microsoft was working on it. Word 2007 changed the way it
handles graphics compresion.
--
wa4yhl

"JoAnn Paules" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules[_2_] JoAnn Paules[_2_] is offline

No company ever wants to accept responsibility for anything and blame it on
the other guy. I'm not saying MS *isn't* working on it but...

Have you tried Googling the error to see what else is out there on this
issue? I'm using PrimoPDF and Acrobat with Word and they are basically fine.

--

"JoAnn Paules" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

And in the meantime you could download Microsoft's own PDF converter for
Word 2007.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...9-a2e79ed87041

"JoAnn Paules" wrote:

Your question would probably be best asked in a group for that pdf
program.
And just because the program is Vista compatible, doesn't mean it's
Office
2007 compatible.

--

JoAnn Paules
Microsoft MVP - Publisher

How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

"edwin carter" wrote in
message news I installed pdf converter 4 and had to upgrade to 4.1 (vista
compatable) I
have xp on my computer. when I open the sample pdf doc only a few
of the
pictures show up. The others show up as black boxes. Their website
says that
the problem is the way 2007 handles graphic compression. They also
say that
Microsoft is working on a patch or fix. I can find no reference
anywhere
on
MS websites about the problem. Word 2003 works great. Seems like
the step
up
to 2007 may be a step backward. Does any one have a fix? I like
2007. --
wa4yhl

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PBerry PBerry is offline

I have the same problem with Omnipage 15 and Word 2007. I took a .pdf file
and performed OCR on it and exported the results to a .doc file. Originally
I was working with Word 2003 and had no problems with the graphics. I bought
a new laptop with XP pro and Word 2007 and most of the graphics appear as a
black box. If I do nothing to the file it can still be opened in Word 2003,
but if I edit the file and save it, then the graphics are also damaged when
opening the file with Word 2003.

It's hard to agree that this is not a Microsoft issue since Word 2003 is
fine, but Word 2007 is not (it even alters the graphics somehow and makes
them unreadable by Word 2003).

"edwin carter" wrote:

I installed pdf converter 4 and had to upgrade to 4.1 (vista compatable) I
have xp on my computer. when I open the sample pdf doc only a few of the
pictures show up. The others show up as black boxes. Their website says that
the problem is the way 2007 handles graphic compression. They also say that
Microsoft is working on a patch or fix. I can find no reference anywhere on
MS websites about the problem. Word 2003 works great. Seems like the step up
to 2007 may be a step backward. Does any one have a fix? I like 2007.
--
wa4yhl

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Al[_3_] Al[_3_] is offline

On Jun 8, 10:30 pm, edwin carter
wrote:
I installed pdf converter 4 and had to upgrade to 4.1 (vista compatable) I
have xp on my computer. when I open the sample pdf doc only a few of the
pictures show up. The others show up as black boxes. Their website says that
the problem is the way 2007 handles graphic compression. They also say that
Microsoft is working on a patch or fix. I can find no reference anywhere on
MS websites about the problem. Word 2003 works great. Seems like the step up
to 2007 may be a step backward. Does any one have a fix? I like 2007.
--
wa4yhl

I strongly suspect that the problem is with Nuance/Omnipage. I bougth
their converter 3.0 to run with Word 2002 and found that they
thoroughly screwed up my admittedly highly customized copy of Word.
They seemed unaware of how to work with anything but an unmodified
copy of normal.dot. It took major efforts to get their converter
uninstalled. Evidently they don't know enough about Word to make their
stuff work with it.
Good Luck Al

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PBerry PBerry is offline

I checked with Dell, who just sold me the laptop and Office 2007. The only
thing they could offer is the MS Office 2007 compatability pack. This is a
bunch of convertors so Office 2003 can read/write in the 2007 file format. I
tried writing to a .docx file in Word 2003 and then sending it to Word 2007,
but the graphics were still a black square when opened with 2007. Dell said
that this is a known issue and Microsoft is working on it and trying to
resolve it ASAP. I can't tell you what it correct or true....just passing on
what I was told. At this point one of the main reasons I purchased the new
computer (to be able to edit a 1300 page Word document that previously had to
be done on my desktop with Word 2003) is nullified until someone fixes this.
When it comes to an OS upgrade I normally wait until it has been out about 2
years and the issue are resolved. With an application I didn't think it
would be an issue, but I guess any code can break.