Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
hopehavens hopehavens is offline

Default Cannot edit Word document because "selection is locked" --??

I opened up a Word 2007 document and everywhere I tried to make a correction,
I receive a message on the status bar, "This modification is not allowed
because the selection is blocked." Since my "trial" of Office just expired,
I can only guess that all my documents have been locked until I purchase
Office 2007. I don't want to purchase it now (maybe never) -- not happy with
it. How do I revert all my documents back to 2003? Was this trial thing a
trap??
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

If you saved the files in Word 2007 format, you must install the Office
Compatibility Pack to open them in Word 2003. See
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"hopehavens" wrote in message
I opened up a Word 2007 document and everywhere I tried to make a
correction,
I receive a message on the status bar, "This modification is not allowed
because the selection is blocked." Since my "trial" of Office just
expired,
I can only guess that all my documents have been locked until I purchase
Office 2007. I don't want to purchase it now (maybe never) -- not happy
with
it. How do I revert all my documents back to 2003? Was this trial thing
trap??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
hopehavens hopehavens is offline

It IS installed. In fact, I even tried to install it again but it said it
was already installed and could not reinstall. Now what?

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Sorry, I am not sure what is causing this. Have you tried uninstalling the
expired copy of Office 2007?

--

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
hopehavens hopehavens is offline

The Compatibility Pack had been installed (since the 1st day of the trial).
There must have just been some kind of bleep going on. Anyway, I uninstalled
the trial software and now everything works fine. Thanks very much!

"hopehavens" wrote:

I opened up a Word 2007 document and everywhere I tried to make a correction,
I receive a message on the status bar, "This modification is not allowed
because the selection is blocked." Since my "trial" of Office just expired,
I can only guess that all my documents have been locked until I purchase
Office 2007. I don't want to purchase it now (maybe never) -- not happy with
it. How do I revert all my documents back to 2003? Was this trial thing a
trap??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

I'm glad you got it sorted.

My guess is that uninstalling Office 2007 made it possible for Word 2003 to
"reclaim" the file associations.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP