Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John Kerich

Default Section number is alway 0 in figure or table caption

I am trying to insert the section numbers into the Figure and Table caption
lines and all Im getting this Figure 0-1 or Table 0-1 vs. Figure 1-1 or
Table 2-1 etc. Each section starts with a Header 1 font and I am using
section breaks in the document. I read the help section on caption and but I
am still getting 0 for all sections.

When I tried to verify that the caption was setup correctly I did the
following:
Insert-reference-caption
I pressed the AutoCaption button
Checked all the word option on the list (there were 3)
Selected Figure for use label
Pressed the number button
Checked the use chapter number box
Style is Header 1

However I am still getting 0 for the section.

Section break(s)
Section 1 €“ OPS style Header 1

Figure { STYLEREF 1 \S }-{ SEQ Figure \* ARABIC \S 1 }, Operational
Environment
Or
Figure 0-1, Operational Environment

Section break

is what I see when I do an Alt-F9.

Any ideas why I am always getting 0 for the section?

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Section number is alway 0 in figure or table caption

It sounds like you are on the right track with using the STYLEREF field code to insert the section number into your figure and table captions. Here are some steps you can try to troubleshoot the issue:
  1. Make sure your section headers are formatted consistently with the Header 1 style. You mentioned that you are using section breaks, but it's possible that the section headers are not all formatted with the correct style. To check this, go to each section header and make sure it is formatted as Header 1. You can also try selecting the entire section (including the section break) and applying the Header 1 style to ensure consistency.
  2. Check the field codes in your captions. It's possible that there is an error in the field code that is causing the section number to be displayed as 0. To check this, select the caption text and press Alt+F9 to toggle the display of field codes. Look for the STYLEREF field code and make sure it is set to reference the correct style (Header 1) and section number (\S). You can also try deleting the field code and inserting a new one using the steps you described in your question.
  3. Try updating the field codes. Sometimes field codes can become outdated or corrupted, so it's a good idea to update them to see if that resolves the issue. To update the field codes in your document, select the entire document (Ctrl+A) and press F9. This will update all the field codes in the document, including the STYLEREF codes in your captions.
  4. Check the document settings. It's possible that there is a setting in your document that is causing the section numbers to be displayed as 0. To check this, go to File Options Advanced and scroll down to the Show document content section. Make sure the "Include chapter number" option is selected under "Caption numbering."

I hope these steps help you resolve the issue with your figure and table captions. Let me know if you have any other questions or if there's anything else I can help with!

PHP Code:
// No macro or Visual Basic code in the original text
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?Sm9obiBLZXJpY2g=?=,

thank you for the very detailed problem description :-) The misunderstanding is
clear, I hope the work-arounds I'm going to suggest is, as well.

1. Word provides no functionality for numbering captions according to section.
It can only number according to Heading.

2. You're using Heading styles - this is good. The problem is that you're not
NUMBERING the headings in the style. StyleRef picks up the literal text from the
style. Since you've not included a number, you're getting 0.

3. The "simplest" answer would be to add numbering to the Heading 1 styles. (We
can tell you how to do this in detail if you tell us the version of Word you're
using - that's the one thing missing in your problem description.) If you don't
want to see the numbering in the text, then you can modify the font *for the
numbering* to be "hidden".

4. If you don't want to use numbering at all in your style, even hidden, then
you can substitute a SECTION field for the StyleRef field. The SECTION field
will show the current section number. Note that, in this case, you can't use
AutoCaption. you'd want to save a "Caption" paragraph as an AutoText entry and
insert it as required.

[...]

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John Kerich

I am using Word 2003 on a XP OS.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Did you read Cindy's reply?

"John Kerich" wrote in message
I am using Word 2003 on a XP OS.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Aya Aya is offline

I have exactly the same problem. I want to use the 'NUMBERING of Headings'
method.
I am using Word 2007.

Can you help me please?

Thanks in advance.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

[...]

Section 1 €€œ OPS style Header 1

Figure { STYLEREF 1 \S }-{ SEQ Figure \* ARABIC \S 1 }, Operational
Environment
Or
Figure 0-1, Operational Environment

Section break

is what I see when I do an Alt-F9.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
That70sHeidi That70sHeidi is offline

I wanted to add my experience to this one.

I had the first two tables in a section (section used in the sense of 2.0
Heading Text, not as word uses 'section break') would be numbered fine, Table
2-1 and Table 2-2, but after that it skipped back to Table 0-1 and Table 0-2.
The next section started OK as well with Table 3-1 but then went to Table 0-1
again.

My numbering was fine, the styles were defined properly. I even copied the
table titles and pasted without formatting to try and break whatever had gone
wrong.

Unfortunately there were a few misplaced Style codes between the lines.
Using Show/Hide Paragraph Marks and slowly arrowing down through my document,
I found an extraneous heading style on an empty paragraph line in Section 2.
In Section 3 I found the previous caption had a line beneath it with the
[unused to us] Caption3 style applied.

After a quick "Clear Formatting" applied to these lines, I updated my table
caption codes and they fell right into place.

Hope this can help someone else!!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Indeed, when a heading number included with a caption displays zero, the
cause is usually blank paragraphs.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP