Louise

Default Inserting Excel tables into Word

Is there an easy way to insert an Excel worksheet into a Word document?

I have a Word document and want to import quite a large a table I have
created in Excel. I have tried Copy/Paste and Copy/Paste Special, however,
the size of the Excel table is altered quite drastically and physically will
not fit into the Word document, even though in Excel it is well withi the
parameters of an A4 piece of paper.

I have also used the Insert Excel Worksheet icon within Word and then pasted
my information into there, but the formatting changes and still doesn't fit
on to the paper.

What's the easiest way to do this?? Ive come across this problem loads of
times and can't find a solution.

Any urgent help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Louise
How to link or embed objects in Word

Select your text in Excel. Copy. In Word, select Edit, Paste Special. Pick
from one of the two buttons at left: (1) Paste: Embeds the worksheet, or (2)
Paste link: links the worksheet, then select "Microsoft Office Excel
worksheet object" from the list, then OK.

So ... how do you know which choice to make, embedded or linked? Paste
gives you an embedded object which means that if the document is going to be
sent to another location, you do not have to send the Excel file. The Excel
document is part of Word now. Access the worksheet for changes by right
clicking on the link, then selecting "Worksheet object" then Open. Open
gives you full functionality of Excel menu bars. Edit allows you to make
minor changes without seeing the Excel toolbars; this choice is particularly
useful when row(s) or column(s) get hidden. Simply right click on the link,
select Worksheet Object, Edit. Drag the right margin or the bottom margin
till you see all the rows or columns.

Paste Special "links" your document - two separate documents. When Excel is
updated, your Word file will be automatically updated when you open your
document ... IF the default setting is still set, which is ... Tools,
Options, General, Update automatic links at open. If you send a linked Word
document to another party, you should inform them to turn this feature off.
The more links in a document the longer it takes to open with this feature
turned on.

Another tip ... use Alt + F9 to tell whether your links are embedded or
linked. The link is temporarily hidden. If the worksheet is embedded, you
will see the words "Embedded." If the worksheet is linked, it will begin
with the word "Link Excel Sheet 8, then you will see either your server name
or your hard drive path, then you will next see the Excel document name, then
the worksheet name, then you will see the number of rows and columns - two Rs
and two Cs. The second R & C is what you look at.

When you add a row or column, the link must be deleted and relinked. If the
worksheet is embedded, simply right click, as stated above, and choose Edit
and widen the right column or bottom margin. If the worksheet is linked,
when rows or columns are added, however many were added will cause that
number of rows or columns to be hidden in a buffer zone, i.e., if you added
two rows in Excel, the last two rows will go into a buffer zone and not be
seen in Word. Two options he delete and relink or use this helpful hint
I figured out years ago after being flustered at having delete and relink all
the time. Use Alt + F9, scroll through your document till you find your
link. If you have 39 rows in Excel and you added two, you now have 41 rows,
right. In Word under Alt + F9, change the 39 to a 41. Same goes for
columns, except note that column J is the same as 10, right. You simply
increase the columns shown in Alt+F9 by the number you have added. Select
Alt + F9 once again to return to your previous view. Select the link and F9.
F9 is the shortcut to updating a link (long way, Edit, Links, Update now).
You can update ALL links at the same time here. Simply choose Edit, Links,
select all the links in the list and then Update Now. Note that in the third
column, these should all say "Worksheet." If any of them say ExcelSheet8,
you MUST relink; there is a problem.

So ... here's your question answered and more.

"Louise" wrote:

Is there an easy way to insert an Excel worksheet into a Word document?

I have a Word document and want to import quite a large a table I have
created in Excel. I have tried Copy/Paste and Copy/Paste Special, however,
the size of the Excel table is altered quite drastically and physically will
not fit into the Word document, even though in Excel it is well withi the
parameters of an A4 piece of paper.

I have also used the Insert Excel Worksheet icon within Word and then pasted
my information into there, but the formatting changes and still doesn't fit
on to the paper.

What's the easiest way to do this?? Ive come across this problem loads of
times and can't find a solution.

Any urgent help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Louise

Louise

Hello.....

Thank you very much for your reply.

I understand the difference between Embeded and Linked, the problem I am
experiencing is the actual 'look' of the table when pasted into Word.

I don't want to create a link, it is simply an embeded object I have
produced, however, when in Excel, the table fits perfectly onto one page but
when it is pasted into Word, the formatting changes completely and only fits
only 2, even 3 pages?

I understand that in Excel, you have the 'scaling' function which allows you
to shrink the worksheet but is there not an equivalent to this in Word? I
have used the 'shrink to fit' option in Print Preview but even this says it
can't do it!! I have changed the font size down to 4 and it still doesn't
fit??

Any quick fixes for this??

Thanks.

Louise

"Louise" wrote:

Is there an easy way to insert an Excel worksheet into a Word document?

I have a Word document and want to import quite a large a table I have
created in Excel. I have tried Copy/Paste and Copy/Paste Special, however,
the size of the Excel table is altered quite drastically and physically will
not fit into the Word document, even though in Excel it is well withi the
parameters of an A4 piece of paper.

I have also used the Insert Excel Worksheet icon within Word and then pasted
my information into there, but the formatting changes and still doesn't fit
on to the paper.

What's the easiest way to do this?? Ive come across this problem loads of
times and can't find a solution.

Any urgent help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Louise

How to link or embed objects in Word

Oh ... for the rest of your question ...
Change your Word document to Landscape. Change your left and right AND
bottom margin to 0.5". After you link, as in my recent post, the link will
HANG beyond your right margin. In Word, you want to be in View, Zoom, Page
Width. If you cannot see your right margin, that is ok. Grab the TOP, LEFT
of your link. You will see small square black boxes in all corners and
middles. In very small increments drag the cursor DIAGONALLY, towards the
center. Keep doing it until your right margin is within the right margin.
If the bottom falls off your page, you have more work to do. You might
change the top margin to 0.5, which I do not recommend, because you need the
top margin, particularly if this will be bound. You can decrease your row
heights in Excel, then update your Word links (F9). Once you get the entire
worksheet showing in Word, then the only problem is vertically. If that
doesn't work, then you have to have your worksheet links in multiple pages in
Word. My fix here is to link ONLY your Excel header into your Word header.
This way, if your link is multiple pages, if your worksheet will be edited
often, this prohibits having to constantly relink after changes have been
made. What I do to quesss at how many rows I can link in Word and keep
testing by relinking till my link fills the page. I note in Excel how many
rows it takes to fill the page in Word, THEN i begin playing with the
top/bottom margins in Excel, till the page break matches what I have chosen.
Now all you have to do is link between page breaks. Every time the document
is altered, rows deleted or added, now because your header is in a Word
header, all you have to do is F9 to update each link. The MOST you would
have to do is to Alt+F9 on the last link and add or decrease the number of
rows to show the new last row. Make sense? If not, post again with your
question.

Again, the key is dragging your link in Word to fit your margins. You HAVE
to be careful of your font size. Also, on large schedules, you MUST pay
attention to column widths and ensure each column is at their lowest possible
width. Check the text column at left; is there room to reduce the column
width there.

A key in working with large schedules is that sometimes when you print in
Word the last column may be missing. This is a que that you only have a few
spaces to delete (F9 to update the link each time you make a change to test
the result). If more than one column is missing, you have to reduce your
column widths, as discussed at beginning of this paragraph. IF that doesn't
work, THEN you reduce the font size. Many people erroneously have reducing
font size their first choice, but it should actually be a last resort for the
best looking worksheet.

"Louise" wrote:

Is there an easy way to insert an Excel worksheet into a Word document?

I have a Word document and want to import quite a large a table I have
created in Excel. I have tried Copy/Paste and Copy/Paste Special, however,
the size of the Excel table is altered quite drastically and physically will
not fit into the Word document, even though in Excel it is well withi the
parameters of an A4 piece of paper.

I have also used the Insert Excel Worksheet icon within Word and then pasted
my information into there, but the formatting changes and still doesn't fit
on to the paper.

What's the easiest way to do this?? Ive come across this problem loads of
times and can't find a solution.

Any urgent help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Louise

CyberTaz

Hi Louise-

Your logic is solid... if you can print the data in XL on 1 sheet you
_should_ be able to do the same in Word. The issue could be one of margin
settings? You may need to create section breaks so you can reduce the margins
of the worksheet page without affecting the other pages in the doc.

As far as method, I prefer to either use InsertObjectCreate from File or
to copy, then use EditPaste SpecialMS Excel Worksheet Object.

Regards |:)

"Louise" wrote:

Is there an easy way to insert an Excel worksheet into a Word document?

I have a Word document and want to import quite a large a table I have
created in Excel. I have tried Copy/Paste and Copy/Paste Special, however,
the size of the Excel table is altered quite drastically and physically will
not fit into the Word document, even though in Excel it is well withi the
parameters of an A4 piece of paper.

I have also used the Insert Excel Worksheet icon within Word and then pasted
my information into there, but the formatting changes and still doesn't fit
on to the paper.

What's the easiest way to do this?? Ive come across this problem loads of
times and can't find a solution.

Any urgent help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Louise

Louise

Thanks again for your speedy reply.

I have changed the orientation, i've made the margins as small as i can,
adjusted column widths etc, still to no avail. I feel I will have to re-type
this table in Word from scratch.

Talking to other users of Word/Excel, this does seem to be an extremely
common problem - you should be able to import data from one to other without
all this hassle.

Perhaps this is something that Bill Gates could concentrate on next!!!

Thanks again.

"Louise" wrote:

Is there an easy way to insert an Excel worksheet into a Word document?

I have a Word document and want to import quite a large a table I have
created in Excel. I have tried Copy/Paste and Copy/Paste Special, however,
the size of the Excel table is altered quite drastically and physically will
not fit into the Word document, even though in Excel it is well withi the
parameters of an A4 piece of paper.

I have also used the Insert Excel Worksheet icon within Word and then pasted
my information into there, but the formatting changes and still doesn't fit
on to the paper.

What's the easiest way to do this?? Ive come across this problem loads of
times and can't find a solution.

Any urgent help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Louise

Ed

Another option, other than the good suggestions you've been given, is to
select your range in Excel and hold the Shift key to see Edit Copy
Picture. This copies your Excel range to the clipboard as a graphic (much
like a screen shot, sort of). This allows you to then paste the Excel range
into Word and size and place it as a graphic - which means you can overhang
page margins, adjust position irregardless of margins, and scale by dragging
the corner boxes. (Hint on scaling: if you hold Ctrl while dragging a
handle, the graphic object scales equally form both sides at ones while
maintaining its center.)

If you're going to use this option, you may also want to be aware that Word
stores lots of information on graphics. Then, every time you adjust the
size by scaling or cropping, Word stores additional information about the
percent of original size and so forth. If you find your document size
increases to a huge size when you insert one graphic, this is a good reason
why. (I work with documents where people have downloaded a photo from a
digital camera at a high resolution, then inserted it into Word as is - when
checked in the doc, the graphic's properties have been interpreted in Word
as having an original size of 22 x 17 inches!) If this is a problem, you
can overcome this by saving the Excel graphic to your hard drive, then using
a decent graphics program to resize the file to fit the space you need,
without bothering Word's settings.

HTH
Ed

"Louise" wrote in message
[...]

Wish I understood better. Are parts of the columns missing in Word or what?
Also, don't forget to use rightclick on the link, choose Worksheet object,
EDIT. This is where you confirm that all your columns and rows are showing.
Nothing in the world will fix a problem until you can SEE all the rows and
columns in an embedded object from the EDIT view, THEN try to resize by
grabbing the corners in small increments, as I spoke of earlier.

"Louise" wrote:

Is there an easy way to insert an Excel worksheet into a Word document?

I have a Word document and want to import quite a large a table I have
created in Excel. I have tried Copy/Paste and Copy/Paste Special, however,
the size of the Excel table is altered quite drastically and physically will
not fit into the Word document, even though in Excel it is well withi the
parameters of an A4 piece of paper.

I have also used the Insert Excel Worksheet icon within Word and then pasted
my information into there, but the formatting changes and still doesn't fit
on to the paper.

What's the easiest way to do this?? Ive come across this problem loads of
times and can't find a solution.

Any urgent help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Louise

Louise

Hi Ed

The Shift Edit Copy option seems to have worked a treat. It has copied the
whole thing in and has reduced the size of it automatically to fit the page.

Fingers crossed........

Wouldn't you think this would be on the Edit menu automatically, rather than
having to know about the Shift key???

Thanks very much for your help.

Louise