Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
alk alk is offline

Default Add additional field delimiter choices when merging a text file.

We are merging a large text file full of legalese . These documents contain
paragraphs that could use any of the default field delimiters. Can one
expand or change this list of default field delimiters? Is so, how? If not,
any suggested work arounds?

We cannot merge from Excel or Access because the data contain more fields
than they can handle, i.e., 255.

Thanks,

Al
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Can one
expand or change this list of default field delimiters?

Not as far as I know, at least not if you have more than 255 fields.

I don't know where your data originates, but faced with this problem I'd
probably either
- write code to extract the text as directly from the data source as I
could manage, and construct the Word document from that, or
- try to find a way to reduce the number of columns in the data source,
preferably so I could put the data in a word table. For example, suppose you
have 500 columns. Then such a method might create a Word document with 50
columns and 10 rows for each "original" record. Then you would have to use
9 { NEXT } fields in your mailmerge main document to consume each "original"
record.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk