Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Idaho Word Man Idaho Word Man is offline

Default Numbering Indent on Centered Paragraphs

I'm working on a document that uses numbered, centered, all cap Arial for
Heading 1. The numbering format is 1.0, 2.0, etc., and Format - Bullets and
Numbering is set for a 0.4" indent after the number.

The first nine sections (1.0 to 9.0) all have more or less the same amount
of space between the number and the text of the heading. But Section 10.0
and up have almost no space between the number and the heading text. It
seems that the indent is set from the beginning of the paragraph number,
since as the number gets larger the space gets smaller. I can set the indent
to provide more space for 10.0 and up, but then I have too much space for
section 1.0.

Do any of you know a setting that will add a fixed space between the END of
the number and the heading text? I've played with a few possibilities, but I
haven't found the secret combination yet. (I hate those secret combinations!)

Thanks,

Fred

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Idaho Word Man Idaho Word Man is offline

What do you change it TO? I can change the distance setting, but that doesn't
do what I need. Can you change it so it measures to the decimal or to the
end of the number? If so, how?

"Idaho Word Man" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Make the numbering right-aligned instead of centered; the number position
(and decimal point) will then be in the same place for any number of digits,
leaving the same amount of space before the hanging indent.

"Idaho Word Man" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Idaho Word Man Idaho Word Man is offline

Thanks. That did the trick.