Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Christine Christine is offline

Default Form field cross reference not working in protected form

In a protected form, how to you cross-reference a form field? In the form
field results to be referenced elsewhere, I have selected "Calculated on
Exit. Then, where I want the form field result to appear elsewhere in the
document I have used Insert, Field, Ref bookmark name. However, it does not
work unless the form is sent to print or unprotected, fields updated and then
protected again.

I've seen similar questions about this, but please note the form field cross
reference is not in a header or footer.

Is there a way to make cross-ref fields work, or will I be forced to develop
styles for each required cross reference?

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Christine,

If your:
.. formfield's properties are set to 'calculate on exit'.
.. you use a REF field with the formfield's bookmark name; and
.. the document is protected for forms (not for tracked changes or comments),
the REF field should update immediately the formfield is updated by tabbing
out of it or selecting another field or an unprotected Section of the
document.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Christine" wrote in message
In a protected form, how to you cross-reference a form field? In the form
field results to be referenced elsewhere, I have selected "Calculated on
Exit. Then, where I want the form field result to appear elsewhere in the
document I have used Insert, Field, Ref bookmark name. However, it does

not
work unless the form is sent to print or unprotected, fields updated and

then
protected again.

I've seen similar questions about this, but please note the form field

cross
reference is not in a header or footer.

Is there a way to make cross-ref fields work, or will I be forced to

develop
styles for each required cross reference?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Christine Christine is offline

Yup, I've done all that! The fields only update when the document is sent to
print or unprotected, manually updated and then re-protected. Using style
references works well, but it does seem to defeat the purpose of bookmarks
for cell fields!

"Christine" wrote in message
In a protected form, how to you cross-reference a form field? In the form
field results to be referenced elsewhere, I have selected "Calculated on
Exit. Then, where I want the form field result to appear elsewhere in the
document I have used Insert, Field, Ref bookmark name. However, it does

not
work unless the form is sent to print or unprotected, fields updated and

then
protected again.

I've seen similar questions about this, but please note the form field

cross
reference is not in a header or footer.

Is there a way to make cross-ref fields work, or will I be forced to

develop
styles for each required cross reference?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Christine,

Does your formfield's name include one or two letters followed by a number
(eg A1 or IV64)? If a bookmark in a calculation field expression contains
such a string, the REF field may not update.

Do you have an 'On Exit' macro defined for the formfield? If so, that may be
interfering with 'calculate on exit'. If you need to retain the macro, try
calling the following one from the one you've already got defined:

Sub UpdateAllFields()
Dim oStory As Range
Dim oFld As Field
For Each oStory In ActiveDocument.StoryRanges
For Each oFld In oStory.Fields
oFld.Update
Next oFld
Next oStory
End Sub

Have you tried running 'Detect and Repair'? Perhaps your Word installation
has developed a fault.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Christine" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?Q2hyaXN0aW5l?=,

Yup, I've done all that! The fields only update when the document is sent to
print or unprotected, manually updated and then re-protected. Using style
references works well, but it does seem to defeat the purpose of bookmarks
for cell fields!

Have you tried going to the form field options for all the "normal" form fields
and activating the "Calculate on Exit" checkbox?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)