Cygnus

Default speech recognition

Will speech recognition function in WORD 2002 if I ONLY purchase it with
"Microsoft Works"?
Pat Garard

G'Day Cygnus,

To the best of my knowledge, the features you refer to are NOT
part of Office or Word, but of Windows Xp itself.

Right-click the (Windows) Task bar, point to "Toolbars", then click
"Language bar".

Then right-click the Language Bar (on the Task bar) and choose
"Restore the Language bar". You may then position it anywhere
convenient on the Screen.

Click the DropArrow at the extreme right of the Language bar.
Select "Settings...", "Advanced" (Tab) and check the box in
"Compatibility Configuration". Click the DropArrow again
and ensure that "Speak Text" is ticked - this places a "Speak"
button on the Language bar.

As a general test, start WordPad, and and type in a couple of
sentences to be read.

Select some text in the WordPad Document, and click the "Speak"
button on the Language bar. The selected text should be read.

If you do not select text, reading will begin at the Insertion Point,
and continue to the end of the document.

If that works, then it will certainly work with Word, and using the
"Speech Tools" option of that same DropArrow you can train Xp
for voice recognition.

These tools work, not only with Office, but a number of other
programs.
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

"Cygnus" wrote in message
Will speech recognition function in WORD 2002 if I ONLY purchase it with
"Microsoft Works"?

Paul Ballou

Speech recognition should function the same in Word that comes with Works
Suite as it does in Word with Office

--
Paul Ballou
MVP Office

Control the things you can and Don't Worry about the things you can't
control.

"Cygnus" wrote in message
Will speech recognition function in WORD 2002 if I ONLY purchase it with
"Microsoft Works"?

Crouchie1998

Speech recognition can be installed with Office 2003 installation program,
and a toolbar sits on the Desktop. So, speech recognition is part of office.

Yes, it can be installed by Windowx XP too.

This is the article for you though:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...h_install.mspx

Here are a few other pages of interest:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d..._overview.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/h...h_overview.asp

I hope this helps

"Cygnus" wrote in message
Will speech recognition function in WORD 2002 if I ONLY purchase it with
"Microsoft Works"?

Cygnus

Thanks Pau, I apreciate your quick response.

I have two questions:

Q1 - Does Microsoft have available for viewing the manuel for "Microsoft
Works", so I can know what I"m buying before I actually buy it?

I would really be upset if after I purchased "MS Works" only to find out
that the speech engine was not available in the included "Word 2002" word
processor.
I don't want to have to buy Office XP just for the simple function of speech
recognition.
Also, my "Windows XP - Home Edition" has 'speech dictation',
(text-to-speech); but, it does not have 'speech recognition'
(speech-to-text).

Q2 - Does only "WindowsXP-Professional" include 'speech recognition', but
not "WinXP-Home"?

"Cygnus" wrote in message
Will speech recognition function in WORD 2002 if I ONLY purchase it with
"Microsoft Works"?

Cygnus

To Pat Garad:
My "Windows XP - Home Edition" has 'speech dictation',
(text-to-speech); but, it does not have 'speech recognition'
(speech-to-text).
Does only "WindowsXP-Professional" include 'speech recognition', but
"WinXP-Home" includes only'speech dictation' ?

"Cygnus" wrote in message
Will speech recognition function in WORD 2002 if I ONLY purchase it with
"Microsoft Works"?

Paul Ballou

Q1 - Does Microsoft have available for viewing the manuel for "Microsoft
Works", so I can know what I"m buying before I actually buy it?

http://www.microsoft.com/products/works/default.mspx
you can find info on works here

Q2 - Does only "WindowsXP-Professional" include 'speech recognition', but
not "WinXP-Home"?

To the best of my knowledge Speech Recognition is only included with Office
products and not any of the Windows OS. I can't confirm this but I have not
seen any options for Speech Recognition in either Windows XP Home Edition or
Professional until after an install of Office.

--

"Cygnus" wrote in message
Will speech recognition function in WORD 2002 if I ONLY purchase it
with
"Microsoft Works"?

Paul Ballou

The use of Works having Word is a generalization for the program and most
people know that it is the suite that contains Word.

--

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Note that Works does *not* include Word. Works Suite does. Works Suite
2005
includes Word 2002. No Works version includes Word 2003.

so
all may benefit.

"Cygnus" wrote in message
Will speech recognition function in WORD 2002 if I ONLY purchase it

with
"Microsoft Works"?

Many prospective users/buyers do *not* know this (consider how many users
there are who are under the impression that Word or Office comes as part of
Windows). I would hate for someone to purchase Works instead of Works Suite
on the basis of a misleading NG post.

"Paul Ballou" wrote in message
The use of Works having Word is a generalization for the program and most
people know that it is the suite that contains Word.

--
Paul Ballou
MVP Office
http://office.microsoft.com/clipart/default.aspx
http://office.microsoft.com/templates
http://office.microsoft.com/home

Control the things you can and Don't Worry about the things you can't
control.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Note that Works does *not* include Word. Works Suite does. Works Suite
2005
includes Word 2002. No Works version includes Word 2003.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Cygnus" wrote in message
Will speech recognition function in WORD 2002 if I ONLY purchase it

with
"Microsoft Works"?

Pat Garard

G'Day Cygnus,

I have never been able to find a definitive answer to your question.

There are a set of services that appear to be included under the
umbrella name of "Text Services and Input Languages".

These services appear to be:
Speech Recognition
Handwriting Recognition
Input Method Editor(s) (Convert keystrokes to Asian language
Symbols/Characters)

The interface is the Language bar, which is sensitive to the
ability of the active Program Window to utilise the services
(the "Speak" button will be present when Word is active, and
disappear when (say) Notepad is active).

The Services are available to programs, OTHER than Office,
that support language recognition.

Some OEMs install these as part of pre-installed Windows (even
where no Office is present), and all OEMs install them with
Office.

They seem also to be part of the Office distribution, and you
will not find them listed as components of Windows Xp.

In Control Panel there may be an Applet for "Speech" (in Xp Pro -
don't know about Xp Home) when these components are installed.
It can also be accessed from:
"Regional and Language Options"|"Languages (Tab)"|"Details
(button)".

I have always understood them to be associated with Language
Support in Windows Xp, and to be available in both Pro and Home
editions.
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

To Pat Garad:

"Cygnus" wrote in message
Will speech recognition function in WORD 2002 if I ONLY purchase it
with
"Microsoft Works"?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
lynnvance lynnvance is offline

Dear Pat,
I found you tip (from 2004!) where would I find the Windows taskbar? When I
turn on my computer in XP I get the screen saver I chose, with some desktop
icons...THX-Lynn

"Cygnus" wrote in message
Will speech recognition function in WORD 2002 if I ONLY purchase it with
"Microsoft Works"?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

The Windows Taskbar is usually displayed at the bottom of the desktop but
can be on any side. It may be set to autohide, in which case it will pop up
when you mouse over the edge of the screen where it is anchored. It is the
bar that has your Start button on it.

"Cygnus" wrote in message
Will speech recognition function in WORD 2002 if I ONLY purchase it

with
"Microsoft Works"?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
lynnvance lynnvance is offline

Dear Suzanne,
I can locate the Start button-when I click on it I get a popup window that
shows a few of the last programs used, has :all programs, run, search, etc.
but there's nothing I recognize as a task bar, and no tools option...? am I
looking at the wrong thing? THX

"Cygnus" wrote in message
Will speech recognition function in WORD 2002 if I ONLY purchase it

with
"Microsoft Works"?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

There is no bar that the Start button is located on? Even if you have no
apps in your Quick Launch bar, there should be at least a few System Tray
icons at the far right side and a (probably) gray expanse between. It's this
gray area where you should right-click and choose Toolbars.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The Windows Taskbar is usually displayed at the bottom of the desktop

but
can be on any side. It may be set to autohide, in which case it will pop

up
when you mouse over the edge of the screen where it is anchored. It is

the
bar that has your Start button on it.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Cygnus" wrote in message
Will speech recognition function in WORD 2002 if I ONLY purchase

it
with
"Microsoft Works"?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Hi Lynn,

Right click on the 'Start' button and choose properties, then the 'Taskbar' tab. It shows a sample of the Taskbar. The 'Keep the
Taskbar on top, may not be checked.

It should also, in that tab, show a sample of the 'Notifications area' (formerly the 'system tray') which is wehre the language bar
shortcut icon might appear when minimized.

=========
"lynnvance" wrote in message ...
Dear Suzanne,
I can locate the Start button-when I click on it I get a popup window that
shows a few of the last programs used, has :all programs, run, search, etc.
but there's nothing I recognize as a task bar, and no tools option...? am I
looking at the wrong thing? THX
--
I hope this helped you,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office system products MVP

*Courtesy is not expensive and can pay big dividends

LINKS to the 2007 Office System

1. Read about it, try it, or watch the movie
the 2007 Microsoft Office system info,
online Test Drive, or downloadable beta is at
http://microsoft.com/office/preview

2. Already have 2007 Office System Beta 2?
Send Microsoft your feedback (with pictures)
http://sas.office.microsoft.com/

3. Use the 2007 OfficeOnline website without Office2007

a. Install the ActiveX access control
http://office.microsoft.com/search/r...XT101650581033
b. then visit http://officebeta.iponet.net

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
lynnvance lynnvance is offline

Hi everyone-OK I wasn't "right" clicking- I got the tool bar but there's no
'speech' on it under tools...guess I have to install that
Dragonspeak--everytime I install something (had Dragonspeak on, but removed
it) it REALLY slows down my computer-maybe I need more memory...THX
everyone-Lynn