Jill76

Default How can I customize the sort order of a Table of Contents?

I am using MS Word 2000. I am working with a 23 page document, such doc
includes built-in heading styles (Heading 1 and Heading 2). The automatic
Table of Contents, by default, lists the headings in order of page numbers.
Rather than this format, can Word list by headings instead? Specifically, I
need my toc to first list of all of my Heading 1 designations, then my
Heading 2 designations to follow -- can this be done? Are filtering options
available?
Jay Freedman

Jill76 wrote:
I am using MS Word 2000. I am working with a 23 page document, such
doc includes built-in heading styles (Heading 1 and Heading 2). The
automatic Table of Contents, by default, lists the headings in order
of page numbers. Rather than this format, can Word list by headings
instead? Specifically, I need my toc to first list of all of my
Heading 1 designations, then my Heading 2 designations to follow --
can this be done? Are filtering options available?

Hi Jill,

You can't do this in only one TOC, but you can make two separate tables of
contents, one that's limited to just Heading 1 entries and another that's
limited to just Heading 2 entries.

To do this, first insert two tables of contents in the normal way through
the dialog. The second time, Word will ask whether to replace the first one;
say No.

Now press Alt+F9 to display the field codes, which will both look like this:

{ TOC \o "1-3" \h \z \u }

The \o switch in this code describes which heading levels are included in
the field's result. In the first field, change "1-3" to say "1-1". In the
second field, change it to say "2-2". Press Alt+F9 again to switch off field
codes, press Ctrl+A to select the whole document, and press F9 to update all
fields. For each TOC you'll be asked whether to update only page numbers or
the whole TOC; choose to update the entire table.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman