Frank Drost

Default frames

I am using successfully frames to keep pictures and their captions together
throughout my document. At times though, for no apparent reason (to me) there
appears a frame (which does not show up until you click on the text) around
some text. The text is always the style "no indent normal text", which is the
same as the style "normal" except there is no indent. This text I use always
for the start of a short intermezzo, e.g.

normal text:Those features can be explained in several ways:[hard return]
[hard return]
no indent normal textitalicA) Icesheets:[hard return]
normal textThe icesheets were several km's thick, etc, etc.

The part "A) Icesheets" gets a frame around it, and the rest of the
paragraph is placed directly after this frame, and not on the next line.

Does anyone have an idea why this happens? I remove the frames all the time,
save the file, but when I open it up again, the frames around those texts are
back

ta

Stefan Blom

A paragraph style can include a frame; most likely, this is what has
happened with your "no indent normal text" style.

To remove frame formatting from the style: Display the Modify Style
dialog box (see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/styl...ifyAStyle.html). Click the
Format button, and then click Frame. In the Frame dialog box, click
"Remove Frame". Click OK the number of times required to close all
dialog boxes.

Note that to Word, a hard return marks the end of a paragraph, which
means that multiple successive hard returns represent several
paragraphs. This is not recommended (for reasons why, see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/conc...phs/index.html).
Instead, you can add Spacing After (or Spacing Before) to paragraph
(styles) as needed. This is paragraph formatting, so in the Modify
Style dialog box, it's FormatParagraphIndents and Spacing tab.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP